1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Car problems

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mommahuh, Oct 22, 2011.

1. I can put my car into gear but it won't move. It hasn't made any weird noises, the engine sounds normal. I can shift normally between all of the gears but can't drive. All of the stories I've read on the internet about clutch problems seem to involve difficulty getting into gear or crunching noises, neither of which happened to me.
    Does any one know what the problem might be? Is it with the clutch or the gearbox? How much is it likely to cost to get work done?
    It is in the garage at the moment but when I rang him to ask if he'd found the cause he said the problem is not clear but likely to be the clutch and possibly about £400 to replace. Does this sound correct?
    Sorry to ask so many questions but I'm wary of garages and I don't know anything about cars.

2. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Almost certainly the clutch return spring has gone - a cheap part but not the easiest thing to replace so labour costs will be the killer

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

You haven't told us much about your car - is it a red one?

4. Mrs Music

Mrs Music New commenter

What car is it? Different cars are prone to different things and the cost for parts will vary, depending on the car. It could be that the clutch is stuck on, which might mean a new slave cylinder or new release bearing. But best practise in this case would be to replace the whole clutch kit (as it is a big enough job to replace these parts on their own).

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Sounds like the clutch is stuck 'off' which is a bit unusual. Either that or there is absolutly no friction between the plates! perhaps an oil leak onto the clutch plates. However this is usually accompanied by a terrible burning smell as the oil burns away!

6. Thanks for the replies everyone, the garage are keeping it in till Monday (it's a corsa). The mechanic said that he can't see what is wrong until he takes the gearbox out but he thinks something has collapsed.

7. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Theres your problem, you said it yourself "Its a corsa!"*

*Eurobox sh!theap built down to a price by sweaty spaniards to keep costs down and profit up.