1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

car number plates

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Jan 27, 2020.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Shall we all have to ditch our EU ones?

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

According to some posters that won't be necessary as the government is going to ban them shortly anyway or we'll all be dead. But you'll be able to keep the number plates :)

3. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

We bought a car in 2019 which already had a Union Jack GB emblem on the plates, replacing the EU one - in readiness for Brexit. We find it quite depressing.

catmother likes this.
  4. a1976

a1976 Occasional commenter

Why? Move to the EU then if you find it so depressing in Britain. Of course, I'd rather take the States myself.

5. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

It’s not Britain I find depressing. It’s what the new plates symbolise: withdrawal from our neighbours, from a large trading block, to what exactly? I like being part of the EU. I think we are entering difficult times.

6. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

If you want to take your car to Europe after brexit you'll need an old fashioned GB sticker.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. Rott Weiler

I guess we won't know for sure until next year and they finish negotiations (or not!).

It made be curious though, looking in my road few cars had an "EU number plate", whatever their age was, although mine has one like in the example below. Turns out having the EU symbol is voluntary but avoids need for a separate GB sticker. I bought my car new but I don't recall being asked if I wanted the EU symbol. Garage must have put it on automatically

upload_2020-1-27_15-58-27.png

8. a1976

a1976 Occasional commenter

We are not withdrawing from our neighbours, we will still trade with them and be next to them. I have a thick hedge between me and my neighbour. Does that mean I've abandoned him/her? If I don't choose to merge my house with my neighbour, does that mean I'm being rude? I don't see why countries (UK) needs to be in a political union with Europe in order to be neighbourly.

nomad likes this.
  9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I remember a cartoon which had a kid pointing to one and asking his mum "I know that L plates stand for learner driver, does GB mean getting better?"

oldsomeman and Lalad like this.
  10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

My last car (bought in 2017) came with plates with the Union flag and GB on them. We did not specify the flag but did ask for GB plates. My new car has the same. Previous 2 cars had EU flag and GB. Car before that had 'regular' plates but we had a magnetic GB plaque. First time we took it abroad we discovered all the panels were plastic! The plaque would not attach and we had to buy a 'sticky' one.

11. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

You can buy some new ones if it's a problem for you.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  12. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Thought you already did, or else children had no right repeating the old 'Getting Better' joke!

LondonCanary likes this.
  13. burajda

burajda Star commenter

I doubt it. I'm sure you can keep your EU symbol if you like. I regularly see the English, Welsh, Scottish, Jamaican, Turkish and many other flags where you often see the EU symbol, None of them have any legal standing, just decoration. I got a new car in June 2019, it came with the EU symbol on the number plate.

14. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

'Foreign cars that have been in Britain for more than six months in a year must be registered with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) and fitted with UK plates. If the owner is judged to be a resident, they must register their car within two weeks of importing it.19 Jan 2015'

This might explain why you do not see many other country cars with their countries number plated. As to retaining your EU plate:

'Instead, drivers will have to replace the Euro-plate with a number plate displaying the GB plate without the EU flag. Alternatively, Remainers can hold on to their plastic slice of EU history, providing they display a GB sticker without any reference to the EU.

Under the current rules, a separate GB sticker isn’t required when travelling within the European Union if the Euro symbol and GB national identifier are displayed on the number plates. The Euro symbol must be a minimum height of 98mm, have a width between 40 and 50mm, have a reflective blue background with 12 reflecting yellow stars, and must show GB in reflecting white or yellow.

[​IMG]

Alternatively, motorists can display the Union Flag, Cross of St George, Cross of St Andrew or Red Dragon, but they must be accompanied by letters denoting the country of origin. For example, in the case of Wales, the options are CYMRU, Cymru, CYM, Cym, Wales or WALES.

In all cases, the plates must be accompanied by a GB sticker.

And you thought it was simply a case of sticking a pair of plastic plates on your car.

One thing’s clear: if you’re travelling in the EU from 29 March 2019, you may need a GB sticker if your car is currently wearing a set of EU number plates. It’s either that or splashing out on the non-EU variety. Let’s hope Halfords has stocked up on blank plates…

15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The Daily Mail is doing a special offer on LE (Little England) plates if anybody's interested. The EU symbol is replaced by a portrait of Captain Mainwaring.

By the way, regardless of your national affiliations, don't forget to purchase the relevant emission zone stickers if driving through major cities in France (Crit'air), Germany (Umwelt), and sundry other parts of the EU. They're streets ahead of us on emission control. Being British won't exempt you from being caught in the wrong zone with the wrong sticker. :)

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  16. Rott Weiler

Did you mean from 31st January 2020?

Either way it's not true. That was the gov.uk advice if we'd crashed out last year with no Withdrawal Agreement in place. That didn't happen and we have a WA now. It won't be necessary in the transition period either. No-one knows what will happen after 1st Jan 2021 yet.

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  17. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

oldsomeman and Rott Weiler like this.
  18. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Rott Weiler and cissy3 like this.
  19. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Do you do a lot of trade with your neighbour?

cissy3 likes this.
  20. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Batsmen hate those. Slip fielders love them.