1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Car insurance angst ... can they cancel

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ResourceFinder, Dec 29, 2010.

1. About a month ago I drove into the wall whilst reversing out of our drive

About 3 months ago someone had damaged the passenger side doors of the car whilst it was in a car park

We had not had the doors fixed as they do not impact on driving

We had to have the second lot of damage fixed so the garage collected the car and left me a nice run around

This is my better half's car and he decided to put in a second claim for the doors at the same time

So ... they put a new front bit of the car on ... but then he gets a call saying that they will not fix the door problem because he had failed to mention, when taking out the insurance, a claim made 18 months previously

He checked the the paper-work and the statement from the RAC from when we took the insurance out states the list of previous claims ... including the afore-mentioned claim

Better half tries ringing insurance company but is left on hold for so long (on more than one occasion) that he gives up ... RAC were at fault, the damage did not really need fixing ... so we decided to leave it alone

We received a letter today saying that the insurance has been canceled since we have failed to

a) list the claim
    b) respond to their complaint

He has called and the insurance company has said that they need to see the paperwork from the RAC ... the RAC have been next to useless ... we are sending off the paperwork today but I am unclear ... can they cancel the insurance ... the RAC are the brokers surely they have a responsibility in this ... I am not even sure why the insurance company are not dealing with them

Any thoughts?

Sorry for the long post

2. Were you given a set time period to respond to the call about not mentioning a previous claim? I'm pretty sure that if you are given a set period and don't respond in the time given then they are within their rights to cancel the insurance.

3. He told them during the original call that he had given the info to the RAC ... they did not ask for evidence at that point

His subsequent attempts at calling them were just to try and sort out the claim so we could get the doors fixed

Once we decided that the claim was not worth pursuing we stopped even trying to contact ... we assumed, tbh, that the insurance company would follow up with the broker and, since the RAC had all the paperwork we assumed that there was no problem

then this letter arrived

I am hoping that the call today has postponed the cancelling and that the paperwork will make it ok

4. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

I wouldn't drive until you are sure you are covered just in case.
    Your union should offer free legal advice, so I'd ring and ask their opinion.

5. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

6. You can't complain to the ombudsman until you have made a complaint to the company. Once 8 weeks have passed, if you don't feel the complaint has been dealt with then you can complain to the ombudsman.

7. I have made him call back to clarify

The letter said it would be cancelled but they have now said that they will wait for the paperwork and have given him 14 days for that to get there

I think any complaint we make will probably against the RAC as the insurance company say that they have not had teh info from the RAC yet they have clearly had the info

8. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

The insurance company are dealing with you (rather than the broker) because the insurance contract is between you and them.
    The RAC are your agents in this but it is ultimately your responsibility to ensure the accuracy of information sent to the insurance company (even if it is the broker's error).
    Sorry I am not being a bearer of glad tidings.

9. How can that work though?

We sent nothing to the insurance company when we took the insurance out ... is it not reasonable that the confirmation paperwork that the RAC sent us represents the information that the RAC sent to the insurance company?

Since he has now sent a copy of this info to the insurance company do you think this should make all ok?

The specific complaint from the insurance company is that we failed to inform the broker of previous claims ... the stuff from the RAC makes it clear that we did inform the broker

@&^£&^%&@*!£*

10. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

BUT... surely if you pay your money to RAC, then you have every right to raise your concerns with them, and expect them to act on your behalf to correct matters.

11. doomzebra

absolutely you can (and should) - but the contract still remains between you and your insurer

12. Don't we have a contract with each company?

13. I had a mare when I insured with Sheila's Wheels. Not a comparable situation at all, but they wanted proof of my no claims which I didn;t have as I had binned it in a rare weak moment of tidiness. Once I actually spoke to a person it was fine. It was very stressful though worrying that I might not be insured.

14. doomzebra

Your contract with the broker would have been fulfilled by execution when you took out your insurance policy with the insurer, buit yes you would have had two contracts.

15. surely the contract with the RAC must include them passing the relevant info to the insurance company

16. doomzebra

You do have the basis of a dispute with the RAC - I am not disagreeing with that. However, your insurer can and must deal with you directly regarding your insurance policy.

17. So, hopefully, the info from RAC that e have now sent should ensure that the insurance company are happy

18. doomzebra

Yes, definitely

19. Every call centre i've ever worked in, inc a car insurance company, keep a record of all calls made and recieved. It might be worth seeing if they still have the original recording where your husband made the original disclosure.

20. TBH Fletch ... I do not think that they dispute this but, it appears that they expected him to send this stuff whereas we expected them to either believe him or contact the RAC