1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Car engine size

Discussion in 'Personal' started by henriette, May 11, 2011.

1. henriette

henriette New commenter

we are looking to change our car.

In practical terms, what would be the difference between a 1.2 engine and a 1.25 engine?
    Would we notice it?

2. Nah.

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Depends. If you have an old 1.2 and you buy a new 1.25 they make tweak more power out of the new engine through technology. Check that the slightly larger engine doesn't take you through a road tax threshold.

4. impis

impis New commenter

I open the bonnet and the engine fills it.
    No room for a bigger one.
    Car works just fine.
    x

5. inq

inq

I would doubt it! My new 1.2 car is much faster, smoother and more powerful than myold 1.4 one.

6. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Don't faff about.
    Get a big Merc.
    You know it makes sense.[​IMG]

7. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Have a test drive. Look up the stuff about perfornance and economy for the models you are intersted in on the Internet.
    Check whether the ashtray on the new one is empty, which is often among the best reason to change cars.
    Is there a vanity mirror behind the sun visor on the driver's seat? This adds enormous value to the cost of a car. See whether it's optional on the model you're interested in and negotiate.
    Get a mate to call you whilst you're negotiating who pretends he/she is from another dealership anxious to get a sale. Be prepared to walk away until you've checked out whatever the fine details of the "other dealer" is offering are. If the 1.25 litre is actually better than the 1.2 litre, they will happilly give you an upgrade to close the deal while you're there and able to sign up to it.

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

My newish 1.1 performs far better than my old 1.6, is a lot more fuel efficient, and costs £150 a year less to tax. Size isn't everything.

9. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

An absolute must for Mrs Much.
    When we last bought a car it was #1 on her list.

10. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

If you want to notice a difference, it all comes down to power to weight ratio, not cubic capacity. Think of a motorbike - many have less power and tiny engines (compared to cars) but their weight means they accelerate from cars with ease, and the weight = better mpg.
    You may also fnd if you study the official documents, that the 1.25 is a lie - these figures are always rounded up. 1.8 is often 1.798.....not much, but it could be even less gap between your cars.
    Larger engines will always feel less stressed and therefore more comfortable, quieter to use - but that means at least another 900cc for you, not 3-5cc.

Anyhow - check the weight figures although again, these are often pure lies as there are no standards.....so some manufacturers give the weight full and ready (petrol, battery, fluids) and some don't.

11. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Just test drive what you fancy and see how it feels.
    My mum has a Jazz and always regrets not getting the 1.4 as she finds it a bit slow, however when I bought my 500 the 1.25 was far nippier around town than the 1.4 (and far cheaper initially and on tax too) so I was happy with a smaller engine. x

12. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Right up to a point. Most modern motorcycles actually have very poor mpg compared to cars. My bike is 998cc produces 115 bhp, but only does about 45 mpg. Fireblades only do about 35 mpg.
    Performance does depend on power output and weight. E.g a VW Fox 1.4 only produces 75 bhp, whereas a Honda Jazz 1.4 produces 98 bhp. The Honda uses a bit less fuel too.
    The data section in each car review on something like www.parkers.co.uk gives you loads of information.

13. henriette

henriette New commenter

Thanks - we have bought the 1.2

14. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

The first time I took Mrs. M. out in the Alfa when I got it, she flipped the visor down to reveal a mirror and a little light that came on automatically, at that point she fell in love with the car.

15. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Is it red? If it is it will look just like Postman Pat's van. the Agila is really a Suzuki Wagon R rebadged, and witha Vauxhall engine which is not as good as the Suzuki engine.

16. Ooh which Alfa do you have? My other half is an Alfa geek - currently lovingly doing up his P reg 145 [​IMG]

17. Simon67

Simon67 New commenter

1.23.... I laugh at that big...

My latest acquisition has 4 wheels, and is 599cc of raw power....
    Belts along at 80, and is plenty fast enough round town... and does 55mpg.

So much better than the Freelander I had before it!

18. Surely all that matters is what colour the car is and how pretty it is!
    I've just been reading posts about kids and how rude they are and how they think you care when they make personal comments towards you...it's always interesting to see their faces when you cruise our of school in a fast or fancy car that could only be described as "gangsta" they honestly look gutted.

19. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

55mpg from 599cc sounds **** to me. The new fiat twin air is far better.

20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Sounds poor to me as well unless it is a quad bike?