1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Car choices

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gergil4, Sep 11, 2011.

1. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

I'm looking at the following cars, and any experience or advice on any would be much appreciated. Kia Rio, Citroen Berlingo, Vauxhall Meriva. I need it for travel to and from work - 34 mile round trip on fast A road, the occasional longer trip, and some local driving. Thanks!

2. Don't get a Citroen.

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

DO get a Citroen!

4. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

I have a Berlingo - 11 years old and still going fabulously. Only ever broken down once, very economical and so much space. Love it! The only problem is it's a diesel and overtaking on hills is a little optimistic [​IMG]

5. In general the Vauxhall would be the most reliable out of the three, although I believe Kias do come with a very good warranty if buying new. Varying experiences of citroens, quite hit or miss as to whether you get a good one. I would go with the meriva.

6. The new berlingo has come of age and is a little "sturdier" than the Postman Pat vans of a few years ago. However the specs on the basic versions are a bit low.
    The new Meriva is a very nice car although not as much space as the berlingo.

7. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I was advised to never get a Citroën.
    I've got a Vauxhall Zafira, so just a bigger version of the Meriva, and I love it, plus it's only insurance group 5. I looked at getting a Kia Carens but they're insurance group 9. Apparently Kias cost more if they go wrong too.

8. The new Zafira due out next year looks brilliant....based on the new astra.

9. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Are we talking new or old here? New car warranties differ, and SH car "warranties" are generally a joke.

10. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Mine is a 57 plate. I think I will be keeping mine for a while though!

11. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Anyone I know who has a Kia is very happy with them.

12. Yes but for the type of person who buys a Kia the biggest consideration is the colour. ;¬))

13. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

You liked my pink one bauble!

Mum has a mariva, she does everything from runs into town to 500 mile trips taking kid brother to comps all over the country. seems a good car with a good fuel efficiency.

Only thing I don't like is she has one with those silly doors, where they open alone the middle column, bit like this
    [​IMG]

14. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I'd find that really useful to get my kids in and out of their car seats!

15. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

I'm sure it would be, but thinking about how cars tend to park (car parks etc) when you're out and about, it would be rare to be able to open them all the way!

Also means only one person can get out of the car in a car park at a time otherwise you block each other in!

Saying that though they do work well for my Nan when she gets in the car as she can sit and then swing her legs in.

16. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I like my Meriva because I'm up high!

17. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

A friend of mine has a Citroen C7. He bought it at an auction so didn't get a warranty. The number of problems he's had with it are unbelievable. Everything has been made far more complicated than it needs to be.
    My advice to anyone thinking about a particular model of car would be to see if there are any forums on the web where owners of that model discuss their cars.

18. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

A C7- are you sure?

19. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Not any more. C5

20. I always think threads like this are a bit pointless because they always descend into someone castigating particular manufacturers or models and then someone else rising to the defence of the criticised.
    If any car you get turns out to reliable and economical you will probably love it and if not then you will hate it so how can anyone here know how any of the cars you are looking at will turn out? Especially if you are buying second hand.
    If you want a view of how other drivers have rated their cars then look here.
    http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/jd-power-survey-2010/the-league-tables/250115