1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Car being delivered from dealer today-any advice?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by fiddlesticks81, Mar 21, 2012.

1. I'm part exchanging my car for one I saw in a garage at the weekend after weeks of searching. I don't know that much about cars and my husband is at work all week-he knows even less about cars than I do, doesn't even drive! The car is being delivered by one of the men at the garage who will then take mine away with him. Does anyone have any experience of this? I have my registration certificate and past MOT documents, etc, for my car. I'm going to ask to check:
    Service history + new stamp as agreed
    New MOT certificate
    That all agreed repairs have been carried out

It has a year's warranty included with the vehicle and my dad said under no circumstances should I take the car without reading this thoroughly inc. small print as some warranties only allow you to make a claim if the car can't be driven at all. Surely, though, any warranty is better than none? It does have a full service history, etc.
    Thank you for any advice :)

2. I'm part exchanging my car for one I saw in a garage at the weekend after weeks of searching. I don't know that much about cars and my husband is at work all week-he knows even less about cars than I do, doesn't even drive! The car is being delivered by one of the men at the garage who will then take mine away with him. Does anyone have any experience of this? I have my registration certificate and past MOT documents, etc, for my car. I'm going to ask to check:
    Service history + new stamp as agreed
    New MOT certificate
    That all agreed repairs have been carried out

It has a year's warranty included with the vehicle and my dad said under no circumstances should I take the car without reading this thoroughly inc. small print as some warranties only allow you to make a claim if the car can't be driven at all. Surely, though, any warranty is better than none? It does have a full service history, etc.
    Thank you for any advice :)

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Check for uneven wear on the tyres - are the edges more worn than the middle or are they about the same? If one side of the tyre is more worn it might indicate a problem with tracking. Not a major thing, but one that will need correcting at your local Kwik-Fit or wherever you go for servicing.

What is the recommended service interval for the vehicle (often around 12,000 miles)? Check the service history for servicing at the proper times. Your warranty might be dependent upon servicing as per manufacturer's recommendations.

Second hand or extended warranties are worth having - both of ours have more than paid for themselves, but be careful not to have any warranty repairs done without prior authorisation specifically from your warranty company or you can't claim for it. We made that mistake once.

Check all the extras are in place, like (believe it or not) the spare wheel, and the wheel changing tools. We recently bought second-hand from a nationally-known dealer and the sneaky sods tried to keep the spare wheel until Mrs MSB started snapping at their heels - she's good at that.

4. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Make sure you get both keys.

5. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

6. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

yes -mine came with only one key and it cost me about £140 for another!

7. Picking mine up today. Unfortunately Mr Lev has 'forgotten' to take the service book with him the past two times he has had ours serviced so the 'full' service history has 2 years missing. Fortunately the company have it on computer - guess where he's going on his Friday afternoon off!

8. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Presumably you have already made up your mind. If you know nothing about cars, it's probably not the best way to do business, anyway make sure you personally send off the V5C part of your registration document to DVLA to inform them of change of ownership (don't accept an offer to do it for you). The other party must do the same for the new car and you need to ensure the new documents come through or you may not be the registered keeper. If you are expecting a log book/maintenance history with the car, don't accept any nonsense about it being sent on later, it won't be.

Check you can insure the vehicle using the reg no- that would at least flag up if it has been written off or stolen. Ask for a cooling off period (but you probably won't get it).

9. I'd do it the other way round, you drive to the garage in yours, leave it there, and pick up the new one. The garages can arrange one day bridging insurance insurance so that you are insured on it until your own insurance kicks in. That way if there is anything wrong you can drive away in your own car and leave the deal.