1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Car Audio advice needed :-)

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dominant_tonic, Nov 29, 2011.

1. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

I need some advice for super savvy tech people. or rather anyone that knows more than me so it's a pretty wide field!
    <u>Facts</u>
    • I have bought a Cowon J3 audio player (16 gig &pound;22!!!)
    • I will use it to almost exclusively for music as oppoed to photos etc etc
    • Most of my library I intend being in flac format
    <u>I want</u>:
    • To play my music through my car radio (intend buying a new one)
    • To be able to take phone calls through said radio
    <u>Questions</u>
    • What do I need? Do I need separate doo-dahs for the mp3 and the phone? (android smart phone)
    • Does it matter that my music will be flac or is it okay as the mp3 player will be playing it and just using the speakers for the sound? Do i need USB, bluetooth, 2 bluetooth/teeth [​IMG] sets, FM transmitters????
    Any advice gratefully received. As you can tell I am not very clued up. As soon as you mention flac people think you are well versed in everything technical. This is not the case, I just don't want to pay itunes for an awful system that ties you in toboot, and poor quality music but this is new territory for me.
    Here's the spec for the cowon if it makes a difference
    http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/mp3-players/1279285/cowon-j3-16gb/specifications
    Thanks,
    domton xx

2. dominant_tonic

I need some advice for super savvy tech people. or rather anyone that knows more than me so it's a pretty wide field!
    <u>Facts</u>
    • I have bought a Cowon J3 audio player (16 gig &pound;22!!!)
    • I will use it to almost exclusively for music as oppoed to photos etc etc
    • Most of my library I intend being in flac format
    <u>I want</u>:
    • To play my music through my car radio (intend buying a new one)
    • To be able to take phone calls through said radio
    <u>Questions</u>
    • What do I need? Do I need separate doo-dahs for the mp3 and the phone? (android smart phone)
    • Does it matter that my music will be flac or is it okay as the mp3 player will be playing it and just using the speakers for the sound? Do i need USB, bluetooth, 2 bluetooth/teeth [​IMG] sets, FM transmitters????
    Any advice gratefully received. As you can tell I am not very clued up. As soon as you mention flac people think you are well versed in everything technical. This is not the case, I just don't want to pay itunes for an awful system that ties you in toboot, and poor quality music but this is new territory for me.
    Here's the spec for the cowon if it makes a difference
    http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/mp3-players/1279285/cowon-j3-16gb/specifications
    Thanks,
    domton xx

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Why do you want to use Flac? - What's wrong with MP3?

4. dominant_tonic

Hi hbf.
    Nothing's wrong with mp3. I did loads of research about the best mp3 player for predominantly classical music as opposed ot folk, pop, rock whatever. I had a classic ipod previously before I introduced itto the washing machine, and wasn't happy with the detail in many pieces. The Cowon came up with the best reults for this, with the best EQ options.
    After deciding which one to get, according to many reviews there was a substantial difference in quality between mp3 files and flac, and as this is one of the selling points of the player then it would silly to at least not try it for myself to see the difference.

5. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

I think it depends on the bit-rate that you save MP3s at. I make my MP3 files using the 320kbs setting. I find that 256kbs setting is also OK, but things go downhill thereafter. Hope you get on well with your Flac files but I've struggled to hear the difference myself.

6. dominant_tonic

Thanks!
    It will be a steep learning curve for me - I have no idea how to import msuic in these different formats, but have gotten fed-up of not having CD quality on the move. Ahh, 320 I will also try. Once I get to grips with it all, will try the same track in many different formats and see.
    Will keep you posted.

7. If you have a decent sound system you can tell the difference between lossless audio and mp3....mp3 sucks in comparison. Having said that analogue is much better (IMO) than any digitised version be it flac ,mp3 or wma.

Yes I know i'm still living in the 70's. :&not;))

8. In answer to your original question , dt, you can get such a thing as an fm transmitter which allows you to tune your player into your car radio. As regards to phone...I don't know.

9. dominant_tonic

Thanks Bauble. I think I might go down that route as it seems the most accessible. Does it matter what format my player is using with these?
    Phone - not so fussed, just wondered if I could use one system for both. I am primarily looking forward to new toy. Though at &pound;22 not convinced. But at least it has been dispatched, so will find out soon if have been done or not.
    I am hoping to be able to tell the difference, and was surpsrised hbf said that he can't - but have no grounds for this surprise as I have not tried it yet.
    Thanks

10. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

depending on your radio, you could use one of these to listen to the mp3 player in the car

[​IMG]

11. As Elfy says , some of the more recent car sound systems have an audio input that allows you just to plug your (for want of a better description) mp3 player straight into it. But if you go down the fm transmitter route....the transmitter just sends whatever your player is playing to a pre-selected frequency on your car radio, regardless of its format.

12. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Either aldo or the other Lidle are doing a car radio for &pound;63 which plays cd,sd,and inputs from i pods etc througha direct cable..i thing it even does blue tooth for answering phone calls through the radio speakers. You just need to replace your existing one.....straight swap..unless you have a fitterd radio which is part of the car.im which case you can get a remore deive which enable you to play from your Ipod or mp3 player via thecar radio.youcan get them in good audio shops or cheaply online

13. dominant_tonic

Thanks Bauble and was it grandelf? I hate that you can't see the thread you are replying to.
    Thanks oldsome - was in lidls today and didn't notice them. But will check tomorrow, which is also payday :) (well, supply payday which isn't really the same lol).
    Thanks all, will see what I can do when and if player arrives.
    Thanks

14. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I bought my OH an older model of this one Christmas and he loved it. x

15. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

here is the lild offer
    http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_26422.htm

16. btw where did you get a Cowon J3 for &pound;22 ?

17. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

I found the FM transmitters rather prone to interference Bauble, maybe it was just me. I use a cable as Elfie illustrated now in preference. As for the phone I guess a bluetooth connection will be best as you can forget the phone once the link between the two is made and hands free calling is a doddle. Of course this depends on the radio you get.

18. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

We bought a little transmitter thingy that plays MP3s from a memory stick though the car radio.
    Cost less than a tenner and the sound quality is pretty good. I was impressed by this gadget, I must say.

19. dominant_tonic

<u>littlemissraw</u><u> </u> "I bought my OH an older model of this one Christmas and he loved it."
    Ta - a little out of my price range at the mo, but maybe after Christmas, and it gives me a starter for ten on the sort of thing to buy. Always good to know of one that someone else has experience of. Ta.
    Thanks olds. Will keep you posted :)
    <u>Richiemillions</u><u> </u> "I found the FM transmitters rather prone to interference Bauble, maybe it was just me."
    This I will consider, thanks.
    giraffe - that sounds good, the sort of thing I was looking for. One more to consider.
    bauble - AT LAST!! Someone shares my incerdulity! Amazon from a seller. We shall see, The seller has 98% positive in the past year, and most of the engatives have been postal errors.
    However, I still thing it is too good to be true. However, for that money, I could not risk not buing it. I have looked on amazon every day for about a month, and 150 has been about the cheapest. Then a few days ago, this appeared out of nowhere! Second hand of course, but who cares for that money? We shall see. It is the white (stupid name for a player that is not white) 16 gig! I am expecting it tomorrow, so by tomorrow evening all of this discussion could be a moot point if it doesn't work. I am crossing my fingers that I have got the vargain of the century, but time will tell!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003X3X1WU

20. It is certainly a good price. I recently bought a recon. ipod 4th gen classic 20gig for &pound;40 ..I thought that was a good deal. fingers crossed. :&not;))