1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

car advice

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Ruthie66, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

My car is getting on a bit and is getting to the stage where it needs lots of work, also as the kids get older it is getting a bit cramped especially on long journeys and we need a top box to accommodate all our stuff. We want to get something bigger with plenty of boot space and 3 proper sized seats in the back. I don't really know where to start looking. Has anyone got any tips on where to get ideas or any recommendations for what to buy?
    Thanks

2. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

My car is getting on a bit and is getting to the stage where it needs lots of work, also as the kids get older it is getting a bit cramped especially on long journeys and we need a top box to accommodate all our stuff. We want to get something bigger with plenty of boot space and 3 proper sized seats in the back. I don't really know where to start looking. Has anyone got any tips on where to get ideas or any recommendations for what to buy?
    Thanks

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

4. I don't know whether you are looking new or second hand but I very recently did the unthinkable and bought a brand new car (it was mainly for fuel economy and the overall savings I made outweighed the cost implications). It was the best decision I made. I got a peugeot. they were very helpful. Oh and it is tax exempt.

5. colpee

colpee Star commenter

For the same reasons, we bought a one year old Citroen Grand Picasso which has oodles of space, 3 full size independently moveable seats in the middle and 2 rear (+2 children really ) folded down seats. It was as cheap as a new small car and is a comfy drive.

6. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

Hi disguise
    what model did you get?
    I'm thinking of getting one a year or so old rather than absolutely brand new.

7. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

<a title=" http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-MERCEDES-W210-E300-ELEGANCE-TD-AUTO-7-SEATER-/260930189788?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3cc0a6b9dc" target="_blank"> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-MERCEDES-W210-E300-ELEGANCE-TD-AUTO-7-SEATER-/260930189788?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3cc0a6b9dc[/URL]
    Big, cheap, bit thirsty. It has done 200k and should be good for another 100k without any bother. You can throw money at them but bangernomics suggests it is better to dump it if it costs anything to keep on the road.

8. lurk_much

whoops I forgot that it has to look smart in the car park.

9. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

thanks Lurk but that's a bit older and slightly higher mileage than I was planning on going for, good price though!

10. lurk_much

That isn't a high mileage for one of those. I know a couple of people with over 300k and one that had his written off at 400k.
    Ask Jude, he has one.

11. I got a Peugeot 207 oxygo+. don't think they've been making them that long but it's great and I really hunted around before buying it. It costs me a lot each month as my old car was not worth much in part exchange but they did pay off the remainder of my personal loan on it and I am already getting double the fuel consumption. They do bigger cars in their eco range too. I didn't get an eco car for hippy reasons, simply because of the fuel consumption but paying no tax is a huge bonus!

12. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

My dad has a Toyota Avensis and it's boot is HUGE! Are you looking for a 'big' car or just a roomy one? X

13. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

roomy rather than an enormous, difficult to park thing

14. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

having drove the old meriva they are a good call, feels like a fat corsa so still have a bit of fun

I'd be looking at something like a ford focus, 5 door golf or Audi s3

15. Cestrian

Cestrian New commenter

Golf Estate - reliable, solid & plenty of room for luggage [​IMG]

16. Good shout - and to save even more money get a Skoda Octavia Estate . Same platform, gearbox, engines and switchgear but more room and half the price. I'm on my fourth over the last 13 years - all have been excellent value. I would recommend the 1.9 tdi estate. Not fast but bulletproof reliability and 50+mpg.

Failing that get a very reliable Honda Accord OR Toyota Avensis Estate

17. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Ford Mondeo, loads of room, loads of choice, cheaper than an equivalent Focus, you don't have to take the engine out to change a light bulb either so they're relatively cheap and esay to fix.

18. blazer

blazer Star commenter

If you are looking second hand try an MPV. Renault Scenic, Citroen Picasso, Ford C Max or similar. Plenty of space, big boot, can be turned into a van by taking out the back seats.

19. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

thanks for all the replies - these have given me some great ideas, now I just have to get looking.