1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Car accident on the way to a school visit - what to say?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lily_w, Nov 13, 2011.

1. lily_w

lily_w New commenter

Hi everyone,

I need some advice on what to say in an application. Last week I had a horrible experience. I had arranged to visit a school and they were doing their visits in shifts and so I managed to book a visit for their last slot. The school was quite a drive away from my house but on the way there, I was involved in a car accident - just one of those things due to bad road conditions. I am still really shaken up from it and had minor injuries.

This meant I missed the school visit but I phoned them when I got back from hospital to explain that I hadn't just not bothered turning up. I briefly mentioned the accident and asked the secretary to pass on my apologies to the Head. She emailed me the application pack and said I was welcome to still apply. I couldn't schedule another visit as they aren't holding any more (and I no longer have a car to get there now).

I'm not sure how to handle this situation. I want to mention that I was going to visit the school in my supporting statement (as usually I put in a little paragraph about what I like about the school) but I'm not sure what to say. I don't really want to write "I was on my way to visit but unfortunately had an accident". But it's not a case of not being able to visit because I fully intended to. Thanks for any advice, I just feel like it's one piece of bad luck after another lately!

2. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I would put something like,
    "I did arrange to visit the school but due to personal circumstances I was unable to, as explained to the secretary at the time. I have looked round your school website and OfSTED report and think...." etc. If you've got specific questions maybe give the school a call and ask, then you could say "I have not visited but having spoken to X on Y date, I feel the school is perfect for me because...."

3. Are you okay? Remember health first Lily.

4. lily_w

lily_w New commenter

I'm ok thanks Harry. Nothing too serious, just dislocated my knee and am very sore but I'll live :)

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Why not?
    Or at least something similar.
    As I explained to your secretary, I was en route to my appointment to visit the school when I was involved in a minor accident, so missed the opportunity to see around. However, from reading your documentation and the website, I can see that . . .
    Glad that your car is injured, not you, Bad luck that - about the car I mean - these things always come at the worst moment, don't they?
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars