1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Captain Sullenberger on the duty to defeat the Republicans

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Nov 5, 2018.

1. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

2. MAGAorMIGA

Indeed, there are some mind-boggling moments AFTER the Sullenberger interview about the Election. Please watch it right through!

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I suspect the Republicans may do better than expected tomorrow but lord only knows why.

4. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

"I could not let my silence or civility denote acquiescence."

5. sparkleghirl

Yes. The democrats have learned nothing. They were part of the problem and they remain part of the problem. Along with the lines of CNN.

6. MAGAorMIGA

I agree. I have a feeling of impending doom. When you see Trump's approval ratings at 46%, and interviews with Republican voters saying that they know perfectly well that Trump lies to them all the time, but they will vote for him anyway, one totally loses faith in both human nature and America as a decent country.

sabrinakat and sparkleghirl like this.
  7. sparkleghirl

That's what's so unfathomable to me, that people know politicians (not just Trump) are lying to them, that theyre dishonest and untrustworthy and even downright nasty, but they vote for them anyway, Why? Is it becuase they hope someone else will bear the brunt of the nastiness? Is it because the lies are about what they wish were true?

8. MAGAorMIGA

And that includes really intelligent people. I am a huge admirer of artboyusa on this forum, who is a cultured, knowledgeable and highly intelligent poster, whose contributions I always enjoy and appreciate, even when I'm on the receiving end of them, but I cannot fathom his support - apparently unquestioning support - for Donald Trump.

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Many Americans are selfish - it is a country that encourages selfishness.

The Republicans are the doyens of selfishness

So many people vote for them

monicabilongame likes this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I've noticed you saying this a fair bit as if it's unusual.

Macron is polling at 29% [ LINK ] to the point where Le Pen is out polling him [ LINK ]
    upload_2018-11-5_18-0-12.png
    Merkel has just suffered enough of a drubbing that she's agreed to leave in 2021. Her approval ratings are down at Trump-like levels
    upload_2018-11-5_18-0-43.png
    Theresa May has her approval ratings down lower than Merkel
    upload_2018-11-5_18-1-17.png
    Trudeau in Canada has a lower approval rating than Trump [ LINK ]

There is a worldwide trend rejecting the more ... establishment corporate political elites and yes, turning to populists or ... whatever the equivalent of a populist is for the left.

Sir_Henry and artboyusa like this.
  11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

You mean like how the USA is the second most generous nation to charity and we're number 8?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Giving_Index

Although god knows how Myanmar got to number one.

Sir_Henry and artboyusa like this.
  12. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Sorry we don't live up to your high standards..

Sir_Henry likes this.
  13. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Thank youfor pointing to that interview Maga...very interesting.
    I ssuspec that had a man likeSullenburg been the nominee in the presidental election Trump might not have got in.....but he did because it seems large number of black americans and other did not like Clinton(didnt really like her myself).
    However, as you keep saying in Brexit..once a groups of folk have made up thier mind to a situation its really hard to change them..the battle is not won by outright attack as many have experienced on this forum.
    Republicans are those who feed off success in seeking thier views vindicated, and the false dissemination of information by Trump is encouraging then in their belief...he is seen as the 'tough' guy of Amrica...in reality he is a bigot and lacks in having few political skills and diplomancy .His adage at times is l'ook at me as the country cant survive without me' and he is speaking in his rallies to the converted and its a case that if thier voteing numbers are more than the Democracts then he will get in.

14. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Oh you.
    It's not unquestioning but I'm sure as hell not going to say anything about those things here.
    And if people want to know why, they have but to ask. But I've learned from experience that people aren't interesting in knowing.
    They're more interested in ranting, blaming, accusing, judging and groupthink. I think being angry and pretending to be superior is what makes them happy.

Sir_Henry likes this.
  15. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

There you go again. You and your fact-based, evidenced and sensible comments.

16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

It's well articulated, and forgive my cynicism, but are we simply looking at Sully's opening pitch for a future presidential nomination?

America elects icons as presidents - actor, rich boy, rancher, oil man, businessman, General, upwardly mobile black guy, reality TV star, and so on. Is hero pilot to be the next?

oldsomeman likes this.
  17. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

This is for you, MAGA. It's all good but 9-18 minutes in especially.

18. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

What field is it in, that doctorate you claim to have? Evidence-free sweeping generalizations?

Sir_Henry likes this.
  19. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I have an actual PhD in Classics and the Romans (Caesar, Pompey, et al) make alot more sense than modern American politics. Crossing fingers that the Republicans are defeated, terrified that lies might mean Trump 'wins'.

20. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

That's like someone in 133 BC saying "Man, I really hope the Senate deals with that Tiberius Gracchus. And I hope they fix his kid brother while they're at it". Why do you take the side of the Optimates and oppose the last hope of the Populares?