1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Captain Scott's Diary Entry

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rosieandjim, Jan 21, 2011.

1. rosieandjim

rosieandjim New commenter

I would be really grateful for some help. I am an NQT in a Year 2 class. Our topic is the Antarctic. We have been looking at Captain Scott and l want my class to write a diary entry. We have read Captain Scott's last diary entries and talked about why they are important and what we can learn from them. I thought it might be too gloomy to write Scott's last diary entry, so we have talked about about how he must have felt when he reached the South Pole and Amundsen had already got there. I thought we would do some role play, but l don't really know what else l can do. I just don't know how to structure this talk for writing.
    I would be so grateful for any help and advice.

2. rosieandjim

rosieandjim New commenter

I would be really grateful for some help. I am an NQT in a Year 2 class. Our topic is the Antarctic. We have been looking at Captain Scott and l want my class to write a diary entry. We have read Captain Scott's last diary entries and talked about why they are important and what we can learn from them. I thought it might be too gloomy to write Scott's last diary entry, so we have talked about about how he must have felt when he reached the South Pole and Amundsen had already got there. I thought we would do some role play, but l don't really know what else l can do. I just don't know how to structure this talk for writing.
    I would be so grateful for any help and advice.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'd start by asking them if they write a diary & what they'd put in it.
    So day & date
    sometimes Dear Diary or other introduction
    quick summary of events
    & thoughts. Thoughts are really important as diaries are often like a 'confidante' to share worries & thought with. So your idea of some partner talk is good.

4. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I would focus on hotseating rather than group role play as they only really need to identify with the one character. You could start by writing some questions to ask Scott together as a class and record them on the flip chart, then have the children write their own question in pairs on whiteboards. Id then be Scott myself to model the kind of responses I was looking for - maybe go out and come back in (if you have a TA of course!), and put some kind of Explorer costume on to get them excited! After a few questions I would probably chose a fairly able child to become Scott (maybe give them a hat or something to get into it). Then set them off in pairs to hotseat each other. They will be responding in 1st person so this will make it more natural to write in the first person. I would model a diary entry using some of the hotseating responses and give them some bullet points of things to include (your sucess criteria?). Some sentence starters and key words to support your LA, maybe a writing frame...

I have never been down in Yr 2 though so feel free to rubbish my ideas - yr 4 is the lowest down I have been!