1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Captain Anthony Smith's consignment box

Discussion in 'Personal' started by InkyP, Jan 22, 2016.

1. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I received this email this morning:

Good day,

This is a funds that we found here in Iraq, and it is inside a two truck boxes, and i am assuring you that it is not a fake, I am a Captain here, all i want from you is trust, all you just need to do is to help me keep my 60%, why you remove your 40%, when the box are delivered to you, attached to this mail is where the money was found, please take a look at it. So get back to me if you are interested.

Regard

Captain Mr. Anthony smith

Hmm...Captain Anthony Smith...sounds trustworthy to me!

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

No, Captain MR.!!!!!

That's almost an Admiral. Captain MR.

I would definitely give him your bank details. (Not MY bank details, you understand.)

knitone likes this.
  3. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It must be awful for him not to have any friends or family he can trust to take delivery of that box.

4. grumpydogwoman

You want to get a shovel and fly out to Baghdad. Cut out the middle man.

What an utter chump. He sends you an "X marks the spot"!! And expects you not to fly out there and dig it up. What're you going to spend it on @InkyP?

5. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I know Captain Edward Smith was captain of the Titanic - perhaps they are related?

aspensquiver_2 and Dragonlady30 like this.
  6. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I'm really disappointed as I've never been promised wealth by a stranger. They are all so honest, offering me a cut of their wealth for just a little help to get their hands on the Eldorado!!! ;)

:D

7. grumpydogwoman

He may want to spend his new-found wealth on English tuition. I am available on Skype for.....ooh, £300 an hour?

Middlemarch, IceCreamVanMan and InkyP like this.
  8. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I had one the other day from very respectable sounding man who told me that on a routine check of some airport they'd found an abandoned package with a huge amount of money and my details inside. All I have to do is send them my name, current address and phone number and if it matches their info, the money is mine!

9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

InkyP likes this.
  10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Wow! What are the chances of that happening?

11. sparkleghirl

By my assessment, each of the boxes contains about $4,000,000.00(Four Million United States dollars) or more. They are still in the airport storage facility up to this moment of sending you this message. The Consignments like I said are two metal trunk boxes weighing about 110kg each (Internal dimension: W61 x H156 x D73 (cm) effective capacity: 680 L) Approximately. The details of the consignment including your name and email on the official document from United Nations' office in London where the shipment was tagged as personal effects/classified document is still available with us.

It's probably the best written scam I've seen, no obvious blunders apart from that "like I said" which doesn't sound right and which appears later as " Like I did say again,". Otherwise I might have fallen for it.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  12. grumpydogwoman

Tell me you are joking @sparkleghirl

13. sparkleghirl

Of course I'm joking! (Would be nice though, wouldn't it....?)

14. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Does anybody actually fall for these things though? If so how stupid do you have to be to believe there is really a box of treasure waiting for you in another country. If not, why do the scammers keep trying?

15. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Yes. One of my residents did and lost all her savings. Now she spends her pension on ridiculous promotional schemes in the hope she will win enough to spend her remaining days in the comfort she was left in when her husband died.