1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Capitalism must be regulated - or destroyed.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

We will end up as "citizens" of dystopia. Think "Oscorp" in Robocop (the original one).

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

You think that is different now? What you describe as wealthy entrepreneurs now outway the landed arisocracy so presumably that is progress, though the outcomes for university access were scuppered by the introduction of fees or graduate tax depending on how you look at it and subsequent interest rate rises the potential student perception thereof, that said the value for money issue of 33% contact time might yet be the universities downfall.

3. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

I shall have you know that I planted a selection of oak, cherry and apple trees! Plus a cheeky spat of Photinia. Cherry trees ate a suoerb ecosystem and the birds love them. Here in London, green parakeets stuff their beaks full of the blossom. No idea why. Next plan is commando sundlower planting. Sunflowers ingest gross toxins and convert rhem, so slapping a few of those down on waste ground each year and deadheading afterwards is always a good move, I think.

4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

please be careful. I have seen some beautiful, desolate , highly productive areas of waste land destroyed by "guerilla gardening" and ending up over cultivated, pristine, totally unproductive and useless ecologically, although conforming better to someones idea of ascetic.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  5. needabreak

Don't bird's love the dried sunflower seeds in their dead heads?

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  6. needabreak

How was the land both waste land and highly productive? Or was your sarcasm lost on me?

monicabilongame likes this.
  7. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

highly productive in the ecological sense, waste land is crucial for nesting birds in particular, as it is the main source of insects that baby birds need. Even the odd bit of scruffy rocky mud on the verges of rod junctions. There are far fewer insects in tended gardens. I hate to see productive waste land sacrificed to tended garden because someone think it looks prettier. i think the rocky patch of scraggy grass and mud looks better myself!

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  8. needabreak

What about sacrificed for housing excess humans? That's the big issue in and around London and the South East at least.

monicabilongame and Mrsmumbles like this.
  9. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

we need more housing, but that could actually be quite easily accommodated by better use of land, rather than using more land.

But the waste land I am referring to is actually the tiny strips of land in odd corners, not enough to park a car on These are important for birds and insects, but are sadly often destroyed by "guerilla gardeners" @Mrsmumbles does sound quite careful and creative rather than destructive though

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  10. needabreak

She does indeed, though you aren't wrong about some others since every action has consequences seen or unforeseen.

Mrsmumbles and dunnocks like this.
  11. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I'm all in favour of 'plant something outside' day but tbh I think it's stretching it a bit to describe scattering wild flower seeds on a grass verge as 'eco-terrorism' :)

monicabilongame likes this.
  12. afterdark

afterdark Established commenter

Not true. It has everything to do with capitalism. The wealthy stay wealthy by not paying taxes like ordinary folks have to. Sometimes by commiting acts that range from questionable through fraud to worse.

And the system of government in Russia in the early 20 th Century certainly saw the distribution of wealth change as did the change in France at the end of the 18th Century. 1930/40's Germany saw huge redistribution of wealth away from a certain religious group.

13. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

but Russia, and France and Germany now have a small number of very wealthy elite, because the wealthy tend to marry other wealthy people and have a smaller than average number of children.

This has been the way of all human society since human society began.

Unless you think you can control who people marry and how many children they have, society will always tend towards this pyramid shape.

14. Mrsmumbles

Oh yes, I seed-bimb the land slivers. I do a spot of litter picking too to clear the space.. The yoofs near me tend to not litter the green bits. It is weird psychology, littering...human scent marking at its most destructive, I would say.. They start to chuck it in the roads next to it...as if they like to see and admire their own trashings. Which is better as then the council clear up that section.

15. Mrsmumbles

Oh dear. You mean they plante donto wild scrubland? Bad move. No, I do brownfield festering dumpholes. Nothing wild or natural. Aim being that this gets at least one productive growth season before the council concrete it over to suit their own warped aesthetic, which is worse than the GG extremists’!

16. Mrsmumbles

Makes sense to me. I just reason that..one buch of numans is destroying their food sources, so a different set has to try to replace them.

needabreak likes this.
  17. Mrsmumbles

This is so true. I am in the middle of a battle with local council support, unusually, to not build a repulsive drive thru over exactly this type of land. It abuts a big roundabout and although houses could squeeze on, any residents would be breathing in gunk all day an dhave a lot of noise. The oarcel of land was rhe last working nursery farm for the fruit and veg theybused to grow out here and train into Covent Garden each day. Nice fertile rich soil. Very very overgrown. Birds and mice love it. You never see a scrawny cat in our neighbourhood. I have objected so many times to these small mjnded bells at TFL who want to build this yraffic jamming monster which will destoy the lot. Id plant a big cherry tree barrier and let the burds have the bulk, wih maybe a small community park. Luckily I know the Council hate the proposal too but they have to go through the motions. Also helped that one of them lives close to the site! But why are people so dull, natrow minded and destructive? Because we are greedy and locust-like!

dunnocks likes this.
  18. Mrsmumbles

Ha, you may say so, but it is very satisfying when you get this sort of thing popping up almost overnight:
    upload_2019-4-22_12-53-19.jpeg

19. Mrsmumbles

Imagine if they did this round fhe front of Trump Tower! Although personally, it will take a lot, in my opinion, to best Sacha Baron Coehn’s redoubtable Borat’s contribution to Trump’s garden landscaping: https://images.app.goo.gl/2JthJPkqEHiPwvyC9

20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I think it isn't as bad today as it will be tomorrow.