1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Capitalism must be regulated - or destroyed.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Apr 21, 2019.

1. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

As the world hurtles towards the brink, fuelled by its greed and addiction to consumption, it is apparent that either capitalism undergoes radical change, or it will be destroyed. In particular, the giving over of more and more wealth into fewer and fewer hands is ensuring capitalism's doom. The younger generation are increasingly ready to embrace radical politics, and to consider seriously alternatives to capitalism, and increasing numbers of the older generation are coming to accept the necessity of change they would not have countenanced twenty years ago, too.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...0pm:homepage/story-ans&utm_term=.f4c7d36ffae3

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...mphRSaMfomjhxRylPyBul6pSXq3azJDDmJh4wwOMHH_5o

"Conversations .... [of this sort] are now taking place in some of capitalism’s most rarefied circles including Harvard Business School, where last fall Seth Klarman, a highly influential billionaire investor, delivered what he described as a “plaintive wail” to the business community to fix capitalism before it was too late."

"Today’s children, as they become more politically aware, will be much more radical than their parents, simply because there will be no other choice for them. This emergent radicalism is already taking people by surprise. The Green New Deal (GND), a term presently most associated with 29-year-old US representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, has provoked a wildly unhinged backlash from the “pro free market” wing, who argue that it’s a Trojan horse, nothing more than an attempt to piggyback Marxism onto the back of climate legislation."

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

A little long for an elevator pitch.

3. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Hmmmm @MAGAorMIGA I hazard your age is <40. I was a child of the 60s and 70s and well remember the thousands and thousands of young people demonstrating against the bomb, the Vietnam war etc. We were really quite politicised. I remember Greenham Common.... walking on Hiroshima Day alongside our then MP Doug Hoyle.
    Face it.... they - the capitalists are always steps ahead because they are unethical, greedy, empowered, privileged and determined to keep power.

4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Not gonna happen.

5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I think we are on the verge of major change.

I don't know what will happen or what way it will go, but it will be big.

6. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

True and when those young folk have to turn to capitalism to pay the rent because public works are defunct and there's little in the way of a new paradigm or one that works, then they realise it can be lucrative to comply and might afford them the opportunity to change their situation and by their complicity afford a nice country pad or holiday home in another country (no pun intended), or perhaps a holiday or 3 a year they will no doubt subscribe as those former 60s, 70s and 80's militants did in one way, shape or form.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  7. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Revolution is led by the middle classes and the middle classes are doing OK.

artboyusa likes this.
  8. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

To those who say the young people of the Sixties and Seventies failed to deal with capitalism, I agree, and were instead absorbed into it, becoming the yuppies of the eighties. But it's different this time. The global crises we face are of existential magnitude and everyone is going to be forced to consider the issues raised.

9. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Young people should be radical and generally are. But they also generally get older, with more responsibilities, and end up less radical and more conformist. It was ever thus. Every generation naturally thinks the problems they face are worse than those that have gone before. Maybe they sometimes are. When I was young the economy was going to the dogs and nuclear war was going to happen at any moment. Sometimes that felt pretty certain and very scary.

10. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I hope so. Maybe it will indeed be the climate that destroys the current system.

I remember feeling disillusioned in the past but feeling hopeful that every new generation will have the idealists and fighters to take it on again. But HelenREM is right, at the moment the capitalists appear to have it stitched up. Environmentalists - and feminists - must be crushed to protect that grip on power.

MAGAorMIGA likes this.
  11. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Feminists are not the enemy of capitalism.

12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

They will be frozen out by those companies that have got rid of the competition.

13. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

This is not an option. And people are realising it.

14. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Says who? Those companies need a workforce wherever they operate and those young people need an income to pay their rent and bills since there is apparently little in the way of welfare to support them.

15. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Feminists are almost universally seen as The Enemy in any country with an Islamist leading regime.

16. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Using today's methods cleaning up the pollution will probably cause more pollution.

I can't see we can do right for doing wrong.

We can do our individual best but I can't see we can save the planet other than by suffocating on our own excrement faster than we wipe out other species.

I think what will happen is we will wipe out every other species we can detect and then kill ourselves off.

Something will then happen with the carbon but we won't know about it.

needabreak likes this.
  17. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Personally, my money’s with the guerilla gardeners! Plant sunflowers! Have a national ‘plant something green outside’ day! I illegally planted lots of tree saplings last year in various neglected parks...was feeling a bit militant but not into waving placards or self-gluing...nobody stopped me and most of them all survived...they are looking good this Spring! And wild flowers. Chuck seed bombs them at the side verges of your local park, empty brownfield site..just go for it. Bees love it. Yes, I am a closet eco terrorist!

chelsea2 and needabreak like this.
  18. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

This has nothing to do with capitalism.

Wealth gets concentrated into a small number of people, because wealthy people marry other wealthy people and have comparatively small numbers of children.

No system of government is ever going to change that.

nomad likes this.
  19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The wealthy entrepreneurs already destroying weaker competitors will keep the top Universities for their own and then will keep the jobs for their own.

20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I do hope they were native species that you planted. You bloody gardeners cause enough problems with your selfish importation of foreign plants and destruction of our own peat bogs. Ever since the bloody Tradescants.

monicabilongame and Mrsmumbles like this.