1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Capital Letters and Full Stops

Discussion in 'Primary' started by manic28, Mar 17, 2010.

1. manic28

manic28 New commenter

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!
    We've all had it...but I need help! One boy in my Y5 class just wont use capital letters and full stops. This is even though he knows this as a rule.
    Ive tried making it a joke, asking him to redo work with caps and full stops, asking his mum to back me up, giving him a 'hard time'...but all to no avail.
    I know this is relatively minor...but before I give up or run out of school screaming, can you suggest a strategy that works for you?
    Cheers, Andy.

2. violingirl

violingirl New commenter

I have got a similar boy, who likes earning plastic money for correct answers in Maths and counting it up. Could the same idea apply to capital letters and full stops? I don't know!

3. Try giving him a (very) small ball of blu-tac for him to use make into full stops to put onto his writing if he forgets - children usually love this (and can move the 'full stops' around)! To guide him you could tell him how many he needs to use for the first five lines of what he has written etc. to scaffold for him. Give it a try!

Is he responding to punctuaiton when he reads? He may need to take turns reading a sentences each with an adult to ensure he is taking note of full stops when he reads.

Hope this helps

4. manic28

manic28 New commenter

Thanks for that. He does respond to punctuation while reading. It is sheer complaicency by the looks of it. I'll give blu tack a try. Big Write tomorrow, so I'll stock up.

Thanks again, Andy.

5. coloured punctuation pen - can see at a glance if there is no punctuation.

6. manic28

manic28 New commenter

A coloured pen for punctuation...What a brill idea. I can't believe I've never thought of that! Simple, easy and hopefully is the answer.

Thanks so much Gertie. This is what forums are all about!

Andy ;)

7. queenlit

queenlit New commenter

Red for full stop - stop. Green for capital letter - go.

8. Punctuation is one of those things some children have heard of, but don't really believe in. I use a strategy adapted from kung fu punctuation. We have physical shapes for punctuation - a full stop is the fist, comma is a curled little finger etc. Some of my Y5 still do this in extended writing sessions. I like the idea of the coloured pens though, might try that.

9. NicoleK

NicoleK New commenter

Coloured punctuation- genius!
    I'm going to give that a go too. Thanks :)

10. deeley

deeley New commenter

get them to alternate between writing a sentence in pen and a sentence in pencil - helps them to see and hear the sentence break and jogs the memory to put in the full stop and capital - I also have persisitant 4 in my class doing same - interestingly also boys!

11. Arrrghhhhh I feel your pain.
    I give mine a pile of unifix. When they have put in FS and CL they fix a block to another one and build a tower. They like the competitive element of who has the tallest tower. Or give them pile of counters and when they use one put it in a pot. Then at end of lesson they can count how many they have used.

12. manic28

manic28 New commenter

"These red and green pens are really doing my head in"
    Went well. I'm going to keep 'doing his head in' until it sticks. A much better Big Write for this young man today. Thanks so much folks.

Andy ;)

13. Blooming heck! I tried the 'blue tac' method today and it REALLY does work, ok its took a while for the child to realise it was ok to stick blue tac on her writing, but once she got he hang of it, and read her work back to me, AND it made sense, she was 'tickled pink'.
    Thanks so much for that tip, this is what this forum is all about [​IMG]

14. Glad it helped! I heard about it on a dyslexic-friendly classroom course a couple of years ago (run by a chap called Neil Mackay). I tried it and it worked really well.
    Wouldn't it be great to collect all of these kind of ideas in a book!!!!!

15. Too right, now what could the tiltle be I wonder?

16. Wow, fantastic Ideas! Surprisingly effective and simple, thanks every1!

17. manic28

manic28 New commenter

Checking to see if anyone has ironically left out a capital letter or full stop in this thread.
    no, must just be me then

18. Thought I would bump this one up, some fantastic, tried and tested ideas here, my fave being the 'bluetac' one.

19. I like the towers that they build in competition . . .

20. Waiguoren

Waiguoren New commenter

If I understand correctly, he does know what capital letters and full stops are, but he just isn't using them?
    If that's so, then he is breaking a class rule, and it becomes a behaviour matter. Can I suggest that once it has been explained to him, and you believe he understands it, he should be sanctioned? Perhaps if he has to copy out some exercises while missing a few breaktimes he will start to use them properly.