1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Capital letter and full stops complacency.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by naff, May 5, 2011.

1. My year six group have lately become very complacent in the use of full stops and capital letters, to the extent that one of my more able pupils simply shrugged her shoulders and said "so what" when I pointed out that she had not used a capital letter for someone's name. The children are all aware of when to use them as we did a re-cap lesson and they all knew the rules yet in their writing they are very sloppy indeed. The only approach I have found to work is brutal, zero tolerance: if a child gives me a piece of work with any mistakes with capital letters and full stops in it I put a thick line through it all and tell them to write the whole thing again. This is working now, but I have a feeling that its impact will not last. Has anyone else experienced this complacency and how have you dealt with it?

2. My year six group have lately become very complacent in the use of full stops and capital letters, to the extent that one of my more able pupils simply shrugged her shoulders and said "so what" when I pointed out that she had not used a capital letter for someone's name. The children are all aware of when to use them as we did a re-cap lesson and they all knew the rules yet in their writing they are very sloppy indeed. The only approach I have found to work is brutal, zero tolerance: if a child gives me a piece of work with any mistakes with capital letters and full stops in it I put a thick line through it all and tell them to write the whole thing again. This is working now, but I have a feeling that its impact will not last. Has anyone else experienced this complacency and how have you dealt with it?

3. Dictation is an excellent way of tackling this problem. Thee's a set of dictation exercises available at www.schoolwork.bz The access code is ure132ty
    Hope this helps
    Eddie Carron