1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Capita charging supply staff for CRB checks

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by oldgreywolf, May 8, 2011.

1. I've noticed some recent Capita adverts for hourly-paid teaching staff that include a phrase along the lines of 'plus £44 for a CRB check'. Is it just me that thinks this is scandalous?

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

To the best of my knowledge all supply staff working through agencies have to pay for their own CRB check.

3. True, alas! I have signed up with about two dozen over the last year, meaning that Ihave spent over £800 on CRB checks. In addition, these have to be renewed every three months.

4. It is a scandal, as Capita is the company which administers the CRB. The question is, what are the unions doing about it?

5. darkness

darkness New commenter

No, it isn't scandalous. If capita were to not charge they would be done for using their position as the company who administer the CRB to gain unfair advantage over other supply agencies. it is quite normal to pay for a CRB with many agencies.

As for the every 3 months renewal, that is a first and rather a scandal and should be checked since guidelines, and these are only guidelines say a CRB is alright for around 2 years.

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

A CRB doesn't need renewing every 3 months. Mine was last done over a year ago and is still ok unless I change agency.