1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Capacity & volume - Reception class

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by sdspacey, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Am struggling to come up with some new ideas for this part of maths. I have got the usual water tray, looking at different types of bottles, full, empty, half full etc. We are going to be experimenting with filling up different containers to find out which one holds the most.
    Was wondering if anyone had some nice ideas to either extend or consolidate these things but in a different way to the above - any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

2. Am struggling to come up with some new ideas for this part of maths. I have got the usual water tray, looking at different types of bottles, full, empty, half full etc. We are going to be experimenting with filling up different containers to find out which one holds the most.
    Was wondering if anyone had some nice ideas to either extend or consolidate these things but in a different way to the above - any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

3. Never tried this but did read it somewhere. You need 3 different sized sealed containers filled with water (drinks bottles would do) and a dry day. Put a hole the same size in each one at the top. Ask 3 Children to stand on a line, then ALL at the same time turn the containers over and walk at the same speed across the playground until water runs out. The longest trail of water would tell you which container holds the most water.
    I have made that sound really complicated butdont think it would be.
    Hope it helps!

4. That is a fantastic idea! Fun and simple - just what I like for a lesson. Thanks very much!