1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

capabilty

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by LittleBrownBear, Nov 14, 2019.

1. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Established commenter

Grr...once again my posts keep getting deleted...take 2

I'm sorry you are in this place. I really relate to what you say. Just my personal opinion but three meetings a week is insane - the last four schools I've worked at long-term have only had one a week unless you were on SLT, and even then it was only two.

May I ask - is this your first primary or have you worked at others previously?

Just a cautionary note - although supply is always an option, I feel that tugrin may be overly optimistic about the amount of work available - as several threads in the supply board attest, it seems to generally be fairly to worryingly quiet so far this year.

agathamorse likes this.
  2. LittleBrownBear

LittleBrownBear New commenter

Many thanks everyone!

@TheOracleAtDelphi I have worked at other primary schools and have taught my current year group before too. Never been told I was rubbish! I have taught primary for 4 years now.
    I am cautious about supply too as I did some a while ago and even though I said primary or secondary (day to day) and signed up to 3 agencies covering 3 counties, I barely survived. Now I have the house, there is no way I can risk it

@cornflake. I have never really had any support in any school- just chucked in and off I go. It is all the other stuff, if it's a practical lesson (Maths for example), photos, blurb, follow up questions for the children, differentiate 3 ways (at least), weekly SEN planning, no TA, interventions the same day (whilst teaching!), in lessons, peel off groups, so I am constantly spinning multiple plates and feel like I am teaching 300 lessons in one. Run a club, 2 meetings, I barely eat nor go to the toilet. One day a week I have duty at playtime and club on the same day. If I have been to the toilet with 10 hrs of being at school, I have done well.

No one asks if you are ok!

Anyway, made a decision. I am not good enough for primary so I will return to secondary in order to regain my confidence before retraining. Even when I ran three departments and managed 17 staff, I still managed to eat and go to the gym/ have a day off! Just need a job now!

agathamorse likes this.
  3. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Re the mortgage - if you have a spare bedroom then consider getting a lodger.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

LBB - you need to stop the club. Now. You need to focus on your teaching (that's what you tell your HT).
    I'm a HT and it makes me so cross to see teachers not being supported to succeed. If you aren't supported, the children won't do as well as they could. And it costs nothing to ask how someone is and smile.
    You need to start taking a proper break at lunchtime. If you feel that is impossible, start with 20 minutes in the staff room and build up.
    But hey, what do I know - I'm on the way out too!

agathamorse likes this.
  5. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Established commenter

I'm really sorry to hear that - you are always so helpful and sensible and I feel would be a good HT to work for. :(

LBB - if you have previous positive experience elsewhere then I'd say it is them rather than you, so maybe don't give up on primary just yet, unless your heart really isn't in it anymore. There are better schools that have less insane expectations of their staff. Your school sounds like one of the type where something hasn't happened unless you have three pages of evidence carefully triangulated to prove . And I'm sorry but trying to do interventions while teaching something else without a TA is just bonkers.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. LittleBrownBear

LittleBrownBear New commenter

Sadly not able to do this? but would if I could!

7. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

LBB - sent you a PM

The Oracle - ah, you are too kind. Thank you. I just try and look after people; to make work a good place to be. And if I can do anything on here to help others too, then I'm happy I am able to contribute positively to something.