1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Capability

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jazzyjess22, Oct 6, 2019.

1. jazzyjess22

jazzyjess22 New commenter

Hi there, I have a family member who has just been told that they are facing capability. They are close to 60 and working in an academy.

They have been through a period of monitoring but have recently been told that they have been improving. Needless to say they also work incredibly hard and very long hours! To me this whole situation is very suspect as they have been getting mixed messages from different members of SLT.

What do you think their options are?

Happyregardless likes this.
  2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

3. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

I myself am 69. As I said to someone in my last job - if after 38 years teaching I need improving then just shoot me cos it ain’t gonna get any better.

your friend needs to start to enjoy the rest of their life - retire!

4. jazzyjess22

Sadly, as much as they would like to retirement isn’t an option for next few years at least.

5. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Occasional commenter

Yet more tales of corporate callousness within a so called caring profession. Well done to your family member for sticking it out as long as they have. Oh and nobody has mentioned the word union yet. So I will now: union.

6. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

Sorry just put 9 years on my life I am 60.

7. jazzyjess22

Yeah, they have done brilliantly and I’m not sure I would coped as well as they have done with the stress they’ve been under. Fortunately the union have already been contacted so fingers crossed they can help!

agathamorse likes this.
  8. livingstone83

livingstone83 Occasional commenter

I want to be like you when I grow up.

9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Well before considering going to the union,the messages need to be unmixed, otherwise nobody will know what they are supposed to be helping with.
    I would see the HT."Am I going onto Capability or not? Please can I have a copy of the relevant school procedure/policy, and please can I have in writing whereabouts I am in this procedure?"
    Even if the union are consulted, this is the first thing they would ask to know.

"Mixed messages" are precisely that. So who knows if it really is that bad until a definitive message is received?
    I do know that if formal Capability is reached, then it needs to be given as such in writing, which will also simultaneously indicate a reference to the school procedure for this. I don't see that in your post,so maybe it isn't all doom...

JohnJCazorla and needabreak like this.
  10. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Shouldn't you be 60s man? :eek:

Don't change your name, otherwise you'll lose your coveted senior ranking and get the new to TES treatment, which aint as nice.:p

agathamorse likes this.
  11. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

I’ve already had that discussion on this site _ I decided that as I was born in1959 I could still be 50s man as I was born in the 50s and I may not get 60s man anyway!

agathamorse likes this.
  12. donrickles

donrickles New commenter

This is the way academy’s force out staff they don’t want. I would see if a deal can be done a financial settlement in return for resignation.

13. freshfriesan

freshfriesan Occasional commenter

Yes, and the union were as much use as a chocolate tea pot in my case. They just held my hand. Absolutely wicked procedure. This time 9 years ago I was on it. I was getting thru the hoops but the head had made her mind up. I was younger than I am now. I thought I'd healed from it. I haven't. I was she'll shocked and stunned for a few years after. I went to work in a dodgy unregistered independent school immediately after for cmvery little pay and shocking working conditions. But guess what, I was well looked after, trusted and respected by my boss,... I took a permanent job a few years after but the spectre was over me, triggered.. Horrible horrible process.
    If you can stop them doing it to yoj do so. Have the unions by all means, but stand up for yourself. I placed too much trust in them, let them take my voice. I'm coming for her. Yep, I'm coming to get them all. Don't know how don't know when. It'll be exposed and heads will roll. Heads get hush money and gardening leave between academy chains now. Hmm mm.... What do they know, what are they covering up?
    I believe that just as there are targets for student achievement, there are targets for having staff on capability... So the leadership can prove they're mai raining the standards of teaching and learning. I was targeted

tenpast7 likes this.
  14. shipscat

shipscat New commenter

I found myself in a very similar position around the same age after having worked at the same school for over 30 years. Last spring 2018 I had a disastrous drop in. Following that I was monitored by an AHT until the summer when I was told everything was fine just before the summer holiday. Early Spring term 2019 there was a lesson observation which went quite well as usual there is always something someone says could be done better, I thought nothing of it. About 4 weeks later the other AHT who had taken over my PM came to see me asking about doing some more observations. I queried this and the HT intimated that more was expected of a UPS 3 teacher.

A date was fixed for another observation - however, following a really bad afternoon with a class which had two badly behaved pupils in it and who coordinated their mid behaviour. I nearly lost it as I was beginning to doubt my own capability.

I phoned the Teacher Helpline the person I spoke to suggested I contact my union and go and see the doctor. The union were pretty useless. I had been in touch the previous year when the issue first cropped up. But again they said could not get involved until it became official capability. The doctor was much better, his wife is also a teacher, and was fully aware of stresses at school.

He signed me off, prescribed blood pressure medication, as my blood pressure had increased.

This removed the initial anxiety and gave me time to consider my position. I had not really looked in detail at my TPS and AVC schemes. It was just money going out each month.

When I sat there and did the maths and took into account savings and the fact I had not debt except a remaining balance on a car loan I thought "Why I am I putting myself through this misery?"

When I returned to work in the summer term I advised the school I intended to retire at the first opportunity after my 60th birthday which falls during the autumn term and handed in my notice for December 31st.

This was accepted by the HT and the pressure was removed and suggestions about informal support plans, monitoring and even capabilty have not been mentioned since.

I am really looking forward to retirement now - but I am sad it has happened this way.

Generally enjoying my job and had intended to continue for another two to three years. But I was not prepared to be micromanaged by people, some of whom were still at school themselves, when I started working there in the 1980s.

Having seen the latest documentation about the monitoring cycle proposed for this year I am just glad to be leaving.

Until a few years ago our school was managed by two very experienced people who were essentially control freaks who had a very good overview of what was going on with very little delegation. They also appeared to realise that one's contribution to the school went far beyond what one did in the classroom. Shortly before their retirement the school was graded outstanding by Ofsted.

If you can get out, get out now. Once longevity and experience was valued in most jobs but it is becoming very clear that this is not the case in teaching, at last under some management regimes, anymore.