1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Capability

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JodiP, Nov 20, 2018.

1. JodiP

JodiP Occasional commenter

I was told I was attending an absence review meeting. Minutes titled capability review meeting. What the hell?!

agathamorse likes this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Contact Union ASAP.

Do not discuss with colleagues.

Jamvic, agathamorse, Shedman and 2 others like this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

They want you out - start looking now.

4. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Yep, union.

Get out quickly and with as much as you can get out of them.

Good luck.

agathamorse, Shedman, InkyP and 2 others like this.
  5. livingstone83

livingstone83 Occasional commenter

This could just be a clumsy title. Can you give us any more information?

Normally at a capability meeting it is the final say whether you will be on capability proceedings or not. You haven't mentioned either way. I'm assuming you are not in the process of capability?

Ask SLT for clarification, send the minutes, the original meeting invitation email and any response from SLT to your Union.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

1) Were you advised that you could bring along a union rep- or failing that a friend?
    Absence review or capability- you are entitled to that.

2) Check it's not an admin error- if it's not then you can object as you were told it was one thing and then only informed of the true nature after the event.

If they say it was admin then you want an assurance that they are not intending moving to admin.

BUT MOST OF ALL - CONTACT YOUR UNION

agathamorse likes this.
  7. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Union immediately.

8. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Is this out of the ordinary for your school? Do they have a policy whereby after x number of days absence, all people have a meeting?
    In my last school, all staff who had a second absence in a school year, met with a member of HR, just to check all is OK. This was a very low key meeting.

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

If it is capability ... and not just erroneous paper work... I'll quote something I wrote back in June.

10. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Why, oh why, should teachers have to explain themselves when sick?
    It's wrong. Morally wrong and just wrong!

agathamorse likes this.
  11. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I think I'd get onto the union.
    However was it a capability meeting related to absence and were ongoing targets set? Presumably in that case you were advised of the implications if your attendance doesn't improve and any support you could be offered was discussed? It sounds as though you should have had the opportunity to take a union rep to the meeting with you.

I think it's pretty common in just about any job to have to discuss absence with a line manager - we have to have a return to work meeting after every single absence. However your meeting was a review which indicates something more serious and it should offer you the chance to be accompanied and supported.

agathamorse likes this.
  12. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

An absence review meeting/ back to work interview is normal in most (if not all) industries
    However being told afterwards that it was a competency meeting is exceptional and I suspect strongly breaches ACAS guidelines and good working practices.

No it's not- you have entered into a contract of employment if you are off sick you are failing to honour that contract until you have sorted out the reason for that absence.

Why do you feel this should be " wrong. Morally wrong and just wrong!" for teachers- would you say the same for builders? postmen? shelf stackers?

agathamorse and ilovesooty like this.
  13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Have you been on long term sick leave? Maleficent was and the HT moved as quickly as she could to remove Maleficent and employ an all singing, all dancing (important to help with Rock Challenge) disaster. This isn't the same as capability. You can't have any erroneous statements on documentation at this stage.

agathamorse and Burndenpark like this.
  14. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I do not feel the need to explain why I am off if it is so obvious.....broken leg, cancer, surgery.
    Makes me feel it is my fault.
    no-one can help being genuinely ill and I fail to see what good an interview will do.
    Never used to be this way.

agathamorse likes this.
  15. ilovesooty

As @Burndenpark says - standard practice in just about every area of work now whatever the reason for absence.
    We have as I said return to work interviews after every absence and these are standard and no big deal. There are stages of absence reviews to which people are invited to be accompanied. I'm a workplace support officer in my company and have found the focus of them caring, constructive and supportive while encouraging the employee to take whatever steps might be helpful to improve their well being. If people are going to regard them as punitive or conduct them in a hostile way that's obviously not going to be helpful.
    I certainly don't see why teacher absence should be different to any other job.
    In the case of the OP she needs clarity on what kind of meeting this actually was and to access union support if necessary.

agathamorse likes this.
  16. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I actually agree with this approach for a couple of reasons:
    • Sometimes repeated 'illness' and absence is a sign of other things such as stress/anxiety etc. Schools may look for ways of supporting a teacher through this, if this is the case. (I do, however, realise that there are also schools who will use this against you)
    • The reality is that there will be some teachers who 'swing the lead'. I am thinking, for example, of repeated situations where someone goes on a bender over the weekend and then takes a day off to recover.
    I don't see it s much as having to explain yourself or justify your absence, but part of a contractual situation.

agathamorse and ilovesooty like this.
  17. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Do you have to have a 'return to work interview' if you've been off with a bad dose of the squits?

18. ilovesooty

In my company yes. Brief return to work interview happens regardless of the reason for absence.

agathamorse likes this.
  19. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Bonkers.

20. ilovesooty

I don't see why. It's a brief meeting to establish that you used the correct procedures to notify your absence, to ask how you are and establish you're fit to be in work.
    If you were developing a habit of swinging the lead it makes it easier to pick up though I've rarely seen return to work used for that.
    I think it's interesting that some posters seem hostile to or dismissive of a process which is standard practice in most workplaces nowadays.