1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Capability

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by madcatwoman1, Sep 14, 2018.

1. madcatwoman1

madcatwoman1 New commenter

hi forum
    I am facing a first capability interview next week. Been a teacher for 30 years, 20 in present school. Kids go home from my lessons happy, students write to say thanks , parents say their kids enjoy lessons, I can count on one hand the number of complaints over20 year period. Current HoD a nightmare as all evidence must be quantifiable, data led etc and perhaps from that viewpoint I am showing my age. However on this weeks lessons at KS3 they all seemed to have gone well. Work was done, no discipline issues, kids said thank you for the lesson . Still facing this issue , interview next week . Has anyone out there done this and survived? Any and all advice appreciated.

Happyregardless likes this.
  2. vectis1

vectis1 New commenter

Hi,
    No real advice just very surprised you’re going through this when you seem so successful.
    Could it be linked to KS4 data? Was there a problem with GCSE results?
    Surely it can’t just be that you and your HOD are not best buddies?
    I guess you have to gather evidence and ride it out - most do in my experience.
    Best wishes and sorry you’re going through this **** xxx

3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi

Very sorry to hear of this.

Ensure you phone your union ASAP and involve them at every stage and seek their advice.

Thirty years as a teacher is quite amazing - most leave within 5 years now because of the poor conditions.

Are you close to the time you were considering leaving?

Not a just way to be treated by any means, but if you are in even a fairly good position financially then I would not worry about it, but make some alternative plans for the worst and just follow your union's advice.

You have done 30 years - you have worked miracles. No one can ever take that away from you.

4. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

It’s an undignified way to end someone’s career, isn’t it? I’ve seen it done, and expect one day my turn will come too. I hope you have great union support and wish you all the best.

Considering the time we spend discussing children’s emotional well-being, and the damage done by peer-on-peer bullying and neglect, it’s remarkable that schools think it’s okay to treat people so badly.

The “caring and supportive ethos” most schools boast about in their promotional material doesn’t seem to exist four-and-a-half foot above the carpet.

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

If it does look like they want to push you out, don't go easily. Every week adds to your pension and if this goes badly, fighting for your pension is what it is about. Of course, it might not be that bad and you may find you can deal with their issues quite easily but you do need union support. They know how these things work and you don't. Do not give up or give in. Make them work hard for it if they want you out and stay if you can as it sounds as though you do a good job.

6. mordrid

mordrid New commenter

You probably cost as much as 2 or 3 NQT's.

Schools are run like a business nowadays.

The reasoning behind their actions is probably fiscal.

I'm in exactly the same situation (16 years ; not 30!!!) and I'm off with WRS still getting paid thank you very much.

My advice is to '''Google' "informal support capability TES" as it will bring up all the posts from this site on your very issue.

These posts 100% informed my current actions. I'm happy.

As for somebody else's advice to ''ride it out" , if they have already made up their mind then you can only loose.

GP THEN UNION IN THAT ORDER.

7. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

@madcatwoman1 Sorry you are going through this and I echo what has been said above, as Gershwin states, 'They can't take that away from me.'

The union is your friend, ring them first thing Monday and also utilise The Education Support Network and ask them for tips on preparing/dealing with the anxiety for the interview next week. You can also call the Samaritans.

As @Morbid states and others, don't go easily. If they need you to go, there is a legal process and the question is, how are they going to play it? Hopefully not in a way that leaves you mentally and physically ill. So your well being is paramount. The decision you will make will be about what is best for you and your future.

Re the capability meeting next week. I would wear something that makes me feel special and even take something special in your bag. I usually take my rosary to meetings like this for protection. You may not be spiritual, but put something special in your bag, perhaps your hubbie's watch, your gran's necklace etc. to give you a sense of having someone else with you.

Remember you are protected and you will come out of this beautiful and whole.

8. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

Although many are attempting to comfort you by saying " I'm surprised you're going through this as you are so successful" - and you can know that you are a brilliant teacher

but if you look at any bullying topic/forum on here you can often see it is WHEN someone is good at their profession they often 'targeted'

stand strong and by what you KNOW: You ARE a good teacher, you have served faithfully and received positive feedback from those who matter; kids and parents

the world is messed up often it is those who make a difference for the better that the world tries to bring down - to spoil the difference they are making - unawake people are used to do this through their roles, jobs, politics etc
    and you arenot whatever picture they are trying to turn you into

there is a lot more going on here below the surface - dont let other people define who you are x

9. meggyd

meggyd Star commenter

Union and remember you do not need to respond in the meeting. You should be accompanied and discuss a response first with your rep. Also do you still have those cards and thank you emails from parents? Collect them together with old observations which presumably were good and previous years' exam results. Good luck.

10. MissMultitask

MissMultitask New commenter

Wow your years of loyal service say it all. DO REMEMBER THIS. I very much doubt that in this toxic stressful data driven environment, that in 20 years time there will be anyone left putting in those years of service- as they will have either voted with their feet, or being managed out for the slightest blip.
    Righto.. what to do, as mordrid and catbefriender advise is very sound action to take.
    1. Union- insist on advice at Region., do not attend any meeting on your own, however 'friendly, informal' they are made out to be.
    2. GP- if you are stressed, see your GP- there is no shame in taking time out.
    3. Relax- it will work work out in the end. Clearly there is an agenda, no doubt fiscal- and cash strapped schools are resorting to these methods now :eek:;) .

mordrids advice is good- and this is a situation that usually follows a determined pathway. Take the one that suits YOU, if you need to disengage from it for the sake of your sanity, then take time out. You can then plot your future course.;)
    Good luck, hugs:)

agathamorse, JohnJCazorla and mordrid like this.
  11. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I am sorry to hear of what is happening to you, @madcatwoman1. Take heart from the fact that the school's reasons for wanting rid of you are nothing personal; you are just too expensive! In reality, whatever you do, your time at this school is coming to an end. You will not have been the first teacher at your school to go through this; what happened to those targeted before you? This will have an influence on your next moves, as some schools will play extremely dirty when it comes to getting rid of people. It is better to let your Union negotiate the best terms it can get for you, rather than (in extreme cases) face Mr Plod, when the school has 'discovered something' on your laptop. Going quietly might help prevent this sort thing. A council of despair perhaps but departing with your health, sanity, and reputation intact (and a good pay out) will be better in the long run.

12. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I imagine this thread, and this one, will explain why you have been invited to the capability meeting.
    If you were thinking about taking out a grievance a couple of weeks ago, there must have been problems for some time. The fact you were off with WRS at the end of last term tells us there are problems. Speak to your union and ensure they come with you to the capability meeting.

Mind you
    The posting from this thread
    compared to the one from one of your previous two
    And the fact you haven't been back to acknowledge replies on either previous thread, makes things appear a little strange.

13. MissMultitask

MissMultitask New commenter

Well lets just hope there is some logical reason for the service discrepancy.
    The advice that TESSers give so freely, and so kindly ,is a god send to those in stressful situations- lets not forget that.
    There are some very lovely knowledgeable folks on here who give up their time to give really constructive helpful advice- particularly grumpydogwoman, rottweiler, piranha to name a few.
    Me, I have found real support here and hope some kind words can only try to pay back what I have received.

agathamorse and catbefriender like this.
  14. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

@madcatwoman1 When I mentioned taking a rosary to meetings, I meant I had it in my handbag which I kept to my side. Although the idea of actually reciting the whole of the rosary in front of the SLT present may have had a desired effect.o_O

SLTs usually do these things in twos, with one idiot reading and the other staring straight at you coldly, and although a severely lapsed Catholic, I felt I had someone with me. So if you have an object of significant value, that can fit into your handbag or pocket, take it in with you and Good Luck next week.

And remember Never let the BARsteWARDS get you down.:)

15. madcatwoman1

Well mea culpa. I actually counted up properly this time, not good with numbers so using my fingers I found out it was longer than I thought. As for not replying I was at the point when I thought the only way to keep sane was to put it to the back of my mind and try to enjoy the summer. If it makes things better, thank you to all my past and present respondents. You have helped me to realise the goodness at the chalk face

agathamorse and 8sycamore like this.
  16. madcatwoman1

Thank you for this, I will probably wear my late mums watch, she was a scary northern matriarch with a heart of gold. Perhaps I shoul rock some of her scary.

17. tenpast7

tenpast7 Occasional commenter

I feel your pain and know how soul destroying this situation is. I just hope that when you come outy the other side you will regain your self esteem / confidence.
    It may provide with a new career or at least a new School where management are civilised.

camillagallop and agathamorse like this.
  18. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I get the difference between 15 and 18 might happen this way. Or between 28 and 30. But surely you had some idea that you were close to 30 years when you typed 15 years!!!???!!!

agathamorse likes this.
  19. madcatwoman1

I have be been teaching for thirty years in total and when I properly added up for this job it came to twenty so thirty years overall and twenty at this job. I realised how long I had been here when a new teacher turned up and I could remember her in her uniform in year 9.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. Elly40

Elly40 New commenter

been there. Pm me if u want xx

agathamorse likes this.