1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Capability

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jazzyjess22, Nov 21, 2017.

1. jazzyjess22

jazzyjess22 New commenter

hi there, in a bit of a low place at the moment.

Have a new management team at school with very high expectations coupled with a very diverse class who are very needy and I’m struggling to cope.

Have had a conversation with the head today who mentioned the capability word for the first time which shocked me. I have been given a list of things I need to do this week to avert that. I’m finding it very stressful and overwhelming as I also have SLT coming into my class every day to watch what I’m doing.
    I’m not sure it will get any better and I’m finding I’m falling behind on other things which is just adding to the pressure.
    I know this is not unusual but I would welcome any advice.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

look for a new job

3. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Agreed. :(

4. jazzyjess22

My thoughts exactly! Any idea at what stage of capability it becomes a feature of a reference. Should I leave if it looks like capability will happen?

5. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I can't give practical, informed advice, but I am sending supportive thoughts your way! Try to keep strong and keep posting. This is a very supportive and knowledgable community. Take care.

6. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Your union should be able to help you re stages of capability and references. You have contacted them ( not school rep level) haven't you?

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  7. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Established commenter

That sounds unbearable - having somebody to come in and scrutinise you every day as well as listing what you need to do on top of all the daily grind!
    You need to look for a new job ASAP. Also contact your union ASAP and keep a record of all conversations etc.

Good luck. It will get better...

8. jazzyjess22

Haven’t contacted union yet but I will.

9. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

At the moment it sounds like you're not in C-word yet. You need to look on the school intranet for the Capability policy and see what that says.
    Even more important, Union, though the rep will also want to see the policy.

My sympathies, SLT bullies naturally turn to Capability as a way of hounding people out and you are now caught in the trap. Is it worth fighting? Only you and a well-informed Union Rep can answer that.

As regards your question over references, no not yet and usually the union rep will be able to advise when the 'last moment' is where references are affected. Also, other heads in the area will already be taking with a pinch of salt any negative reference from this head and combined with the recruitment crisis could well mean that the reference question is irrelevant.

You've got to know when to walk away,
    Know when to run
    Kenny Rogers - The Gambler

tallpoppy71, Ozchic and Tinycat1234 like this.
  10. fudgeface

fudgeface Occasional commenter

Can't offer advice, but just to let you know I'm gonna nag through this at the moment. Sending best wishes

11. jazzyjess22

Wishing you the best of luck as well then. It’s a horrible experience.

12. Anonymouse4

Anonymouse4 Occasional commenter

Hahahahaha great typo Fudgeface! :D I'm glad I'm not the only one using the "nag" technique as a means of combating the C process. I'm currently nagging my Union rep, the HR manager, my GP, my head teacher. I'm hoping they'll get so sick of me they'll just let the threat of C go and let me get back to my job!!!

fudgeface and Scintillant like this.
  13. ultimatedingbat

ultimatedingbat Established commenter

Echoing the advice of get your union involved - it sounds like they are heading towards informal capability - if that happens your unuion can help you exit with a good reference still x Sending love and saying yes there is light at the end of this tunnel

14. jazzyjess22

The head told me that they don’t have to use informal capability any more, they can just start the formal process if they want. Is this correct?

15. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

The statutory procedures and DFE model capability policy used to say there was a informal stage before you got to the formal stage. That Gove bloke removed all that about 5 years ago so schools don't have to have an informal stage any longer. But many schools retained an informal stage in their own policy. What's in your school's policy? If it says there is an informal stage in your school then your head has to follow your school's policy.

16. Ozchic

Ozchic New commenter

Test post

17. ronnieg

ronnieg New commenter

Would love to know why they think putting a teacher under this much pressure will improve their performances.
    I was almost at the same point as this poor man - only some intervention from crisis team at A&E stopped me. Taken a long time to recover - job I love now but still feel incredibly angry/upset when I read the 'c' stories. Unions in general need to get a grip and stand up to his

artemis81 and Ozchic like this.
  18. Ozchic

Ozchic New commenter

Completely agree Ronnie! I'm off with wrs and depression at the moment, all brought about by informal support plan. Union and doctor been great but I can't even think straight just now.

ronnieg likes this.
  19. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

New job

These people are *****

If you feel under pressure / stressed, see your union and your doctor, and negotiate an exit that is as favourable for you as you can possibly make it.

Good luck!

Ozchic likes this.
  20. drek

drek Lead commenter

If you don’t ‘show’ their required ‘improvements’ then they will call you to a meeting next.
    If they mentioned the c word then have a look at your capability and performance appraisal policies together. You maybe at the informal stage where this is regarded as a verbal warning where they can record that they came to observe you and give you feedback on how to improve as their evidence for support (in court if taken to a tribunal later). It’s called stitching up.

You must start reading policies and speak/send an email to the person who spoke to you asking them which stage on the performance and capability policy they see you at for clarification purposes.

Start recording any actions they perform and your responses. Email evidence that you are responding to their advice etc.

If it is in the informal stage I would start looking for other jobs. They cannot put it down on a reference unless they are vindictive.

The schools ‘bouncers’ turned education gurus coming to observe and check up on you all the time?
    Sounds very stressful. One is hardly likely able to perform their best with such a huge handicapping presence.

Imagine doing it under formal conditions, with no extra time given for the expected increase in planning time........And lots of unhelpful advice from people who can tell outright lies about their own teaching.......

Unhealthy situation to work in....

tenpast7, TailwindTurner and Ozchic like this.