1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Capability

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jazzyjess22, Nov 21, 2017.

1. jazzyjess22

jazzyjess22 New commenter

hi there, in a bit of a low place at the moment.

Have a new management team at school with very high expectations coupled with a very diverse class who are very needy and I’m struggling to cope.

Have had a conversation with the head today who mentioned the capability word for the first time which shocked me. I have been given a list of things I need to do this week to avert that. I’m finding it very stressful and overwhelming as I also have SLT coming into my class every day to watch what I’m doing.
    I’m not sure it will get any better and I’m finding I’m falling behind on other things which is just adding to the pressure.
    I know this is not unusual but I would welcome any advice.

2. bounceback

bounceback Occasional commenter

This seems to be getting so common. I really feel for you. Seems like SLT often don't really have a clue.
    Do you have any idea if there is a hidden agenda? Where are you on the pay scale?
    I would contact your union rep as soon as possible to let them know what is going on and for some advice.

3. Fer888

Fer888 Occasional commenter

Please get in touch with your union immediately. How long have you been teaching ?

4. jazzyjess22

I’ve been teaching 7 years
    A bit of a confession to make as I have a lapsed union membership. Haven’t been a member for over a year. I know this is stupid and I’m kicking myself for it now. If I rejoined now and paid for a year would I get help or is there anywhere else I can go for advice?

5. bounceback

bounceback Occasional commenter

Might be worth ringing your old union anyway to find out if you can rejoin. If you were a member before for a few years they might be sympathetic. If not, they might be able to offer some advice about where to go for help.

6. jazzyjess22

Thanks, will do that today.
    Feel like a complete idiot.

7. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Keep a log of everything that is happening. That way should something develop down the line you have something to refer back to.

8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

You are not yet in capability, therefore the union may be willing to offer support.
    Polish your CV!

9. Cooperuk

Cooperuk Senior commenter

Join the union online NOW - they will not cover you after the event - that way you are likely to be covered if and when you do have to face capability, as it has not happened yet.

sophrysyne likes this.
  10. sophrysyne

sophrysyne New commenter

All unions have a 90-day rule which means you need to be a member for 3 months before they will provide support (exceptions for new entrants, obviously). Lapsed members may get an exception.