1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Capability?!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by ChanChan123, Nov 13, 2016.

1. ChanChan123

ChanChan123 New commenter

Hi,

So I've previously worked at larger schools (2/3 form) in Early Years....2 years teaching, 1 as a TA. This year I was lucky to get a post teaching Yr1 in a one form entry school. Although I raised my apprehension at the beginning, I was reassured that 'The start of Y1 should be similar to EY anyway' & 'Y2 teacher is VERY experienced and will support you.'

After struggling along with very little support, I receive a support plan after my first 'proper' observation. Other things on this were most definitely my fault - planning not very clear, classroom environment, etc. However I was planning Literacy as a series of carousels - it's meant to be EY until Christmas?! Anyway stopped that and planning is alot clearer, etc.

My school has a new head (Head A) and an executive head who is in twice a week (Head B). I was due to have an observation last week with Head A & B. Head B wasn't in so when my observation began in walked Head A and Dep Head. After this observation I was told that in order to make a decision between capability or a extension on my support plan I had to have another observation this week by Head A & Head B. When I basically said 'what's the grand scheme what am I looking at?' Head A told me that it all rests on this weeks observation.

To break it down:
    I can count on one hand the amount of times Head A has dropped into my classroom in the 4 weeks,
    It has been even less for Head B &
    Surely it can't rest on one observation when Head B has only observed me teaching on one other occasion?!

Has anyone come out of this situation? I feel stressed all the time but seriously thought I was getting somewhere?!

Any advice?

Thanks x

2. JAFF23

JAFF23 Occasional commenter

Poor you. I hope you have got the union involved??? I also will be on informal capability after one RI observation. I assume that you have been given a timescale in which to achieve your 'targets' which should be on your support plan? I was advised not to attend any meetings without union representation. I was advised by a colleague who has previously gone through this to resign before the big C can be mentioned in references. Life is too short for all the stress involved in teaching as I have recently learnt through a medical condition which was potentially life threatening. Get out whilst you can and find a job in your preferred age group. Get the union to sort out a settlement agreement and a good reference. Wishing you all the luck in the world!!

3. ChanChan123

I have emailed but plan to phone them tomorrow for definitely the moment lunch break begins!
    My timescale was 4 weeks? I'm not sure if this is ok or not?
    It is definitely very stressful but will see how it all goes tomorrow - fingers crossed!

Thank you! xx

Also - glad you're embracing all things non-teaching!

topgirl1 likes this.
  4. JAFF23

Good luck tomorrow ChanChan123. Your timescale sounds reasonable and don't forget you can always go to see your GP WRS if things deteriorate.Keep us posted x

5. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

Do NOT, under any circumstances, go into any meeting with either/both heads by yourself.

Hark2 likes this.
  6. Hark2

Hark2 New commenter

I agree......I have also had the big C word mentioned but they wanted to put me on straight away without any plan in place or support package. I would also say to get out before that is put on your record. I am out at Christmas but on sick leave and feel so much better... Starting to be less stressed. It is a very pressurised system now in schools... Not like it used to be in the good old days! All to often I've heard the same stories of people in similar situations. It's hard but you've got to do what's best for you. Good luck x

7. JAFF23

Out of interest Hark2 what are your plans for after Christmas? MTIA

8. 9497

9497 New commenter

You will not survive. Get your regional union rep involved now. You are already on informal capability and it is highly likely SLT will have stitched up so you are not allowed representation at this stage so they can further intimidate you. They may extend it, largely so they can add evidence to your failings. You will not survive this process. SLT have no intention of allowing this to happen no matter how hard you try. You have two options: Resign and hope you are left alone or (and I expect your union will suggest this) take a settlement agreement and you will probably be out by Christmas. Sorry I can't be more positive but from experience this is what will happen.

9. ChanChan123

Had observation and actual teaching went well but I'm not always transferring that into learning. Think that's what is most frustrating because both heads keep saying I've got all the bits, it's like it just hasn't made the 'click' yet.

Even more frustrating after stressing all of last weekend for my be all and end all observation on Monday, I was told that I have to wait until tomorrow for a 'proper' review meeting where I need to bring evidence, etc - o_O - feel this is just filling time as after feedback on Monday I said 'right you've given me that feedback, I'd love you to come and see me again before the review' for one head to reply 'I don't think I need to see you again' *gulp* :(.

Spoken to NUT - can't get a representative but interestingly they're guidelines (not statutory sadly) is that a support plan should be a long term. Don't think this will help though sadly.

Bevdex - there isn't really anyone that can come in with me so it's gonna just be me it seems.

If the big C comes up, I do think it will be a case of goodbye at Christmas unfortunately - but the stress of no work and no income is a big one!

10. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

As an NQT you have the mechanics of teaching. You probably don't realise how much you do know sadly to apply these mechanics you need experience.

This experience takes take a school should never recruit an NQT and expect an M5 teacher. That teacher got to that level by having the freedom to try things, to make mistakes reflect on them and try again this is a process that take along time infact it never ends as you go through your career you will always tweak things and do them differently.

A lot of these changes happen in the first three years as you get used to the workload, expectations and try to grow into an individual teacher rather than someone who has just qualified and knows the mechanics but not entirely how to apply them.

Many people I've noticed forget what it feels like to be an NQT and having taught thousands of lessons tend to forget the mistakes they made, the bad lessons and the sleepless nights, they just remember the ones that went right or that now after ten years they can make a rough lesson plan in their head and run with it because they know that text book x p61 has questions in it.

They know the rough layout of the spec and they taugh that student from year 7 and tend not to have major behaviour problems as they have had years to establish routines not 12 weeks.

They forget this.

A lecturer at uni said this to me she was so right

In your first year you will not be a good teacher you will feel a failure and try to do the best for the students you won't be able to you won't yet know how to. In your second year you will be much better you will reflect and improve. Your third year you have made most mistakes can wing a lot and start to get some time. In your fourth year you will get complacent and not as good as you think you know it. In your fifth you will find your level and work at it and try to do your best and avoid burn out.

At your meeting I suggest you ask to observe other teachers work to see best practice.

A buddy to check a % of lesson plans not all as that is unreasonable as even NQT don't write plans for all lessons

You ask them not only to list failings but give suggested ways to improve in the same way that you have to feedback to students with next steps so should they.

Sorry for the long post.

Mermaid7 and ChanChan123 like this.
  11. billyelliot

billyelliot New commenter

You haven't had anywhere near enough time as a classroom teacher to be treated like this. But I have unfortunately found out that "old" i.e expensive teachers can also be pushed out. I have been teaching for many years and have been told today, by my head, that they can't see how I will get a positive outcome from my "support" plan. As they are the authority that sign off the paper work and there are 4 weeks left the writing is absolutely on the wall. It has been clearly highlighted (but not verbalised) that I should go....soon. It is happening everywhere. I find it staggering that anyone can go from steadily good to "failure" without there being other games afoot.

ChanChan123 likes this.
  12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Just saw this thread... curious how things are going for you...

Been there myself... from what you say you don't sound like you've been teaching like... bit surprising to hear of Heads using Capability on someone at your level...

ChanChan123 likes this.
  13. ChanChan123

Know it's all very late in the day (years later even) but wanted to be polite because everyone was so supportive. Handed my notice in and have spent ever since applying for jobs but have been working as an EYS at a children's centre. Has really allowed me to have less take home and really hone my EY expertise as well as work on specific things in the room (storytelling, environment, etc). Whole situation really gave me the confidence to say no to schools I didnt like the vibe of BUT took me a long time for my self-esteem to recover. Either way things are looking up!

Thank you again all xx

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Excellent... glad there is life after capability for you!

cazzmusic1, Mermaid7 and ChanChan123 like this.