1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Capability?!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by ChanChan123, Nov 13, 2016.

1. ChanChan123

ChanChan123 New commenter

Hi,

So I've previously worked at larger schools (2/3 form) in Early Years....2 years teaching, 1 as a TA. This year I was lucky to get a post teaching Yr1 in a one form entry school. Although I raised my apprehension at the beginning, I was reassured that 'The start of Y1 should be similar to EY anyway' & 'Y2 teacher is VERY experienced and will support you.'

After struggling along with very little support, I receive a support plan after my first 'proper' observation. Other things on this were most definitely my fault - planning not very clear, classroom environment, etc. However I was planning Literacy as a series of carousels - it's meant to be EY until Christmas?! Anyway stopped that and planning is alot clearer, etc.

My school has a new head (Head A) and an executive head who is in twice a week (Head B). I was due to have an observation last week with Head A & B. Head B wasn't in so when my observation began in walked Head A and Dep Head. After this observation I was told that in order to make a decision between capability or a extension on my support plan I had to have another observation this week by Head A & Head B. When I basically said 'what's the grand scheme what am I looking at?' Head A told me that it all rests on this weeks observation.

To break it down:
    I can count on one hand the amount of times Head A has dropped into my classroom in the 4 weeks,
    It has been even less for Head B &
    Surely it can't rest on one observation when Head B has only observed me teaching on one other occasion?!

Has anyone come out of this situation? I feel stressed all the time but seriously thought I was getting somewhere?!

Any advice?

Thanks x

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You need to speak to your union as soon as possible.
    Moving from a support plan to capability will have very serious consequences for your career and you need union advice and support to ensure the best possible outcome.

I'll ask the moderators to move this thread to Workplace Dilemmas, as there is more traffic there and some very experienced people who can advise you further.

asnac likes this.
  3. ChanChan123

ChanChan123 New commenter

Thank you!! I wasn't sure where this should've gone!

4. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

Same thread as I just replied to on another forum - try workplace dilemmas