1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Capability procedures

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by vickyjanegolf, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Hi! I am writing on behalf of my friend who does not know what to do. He is a teacher of Law in a secondary school and is the only teacher of the AS/A2 groups. This year he got a set of poor results for AS and when he returned in September the SLT had taken away his AS course. This was half his timetable. He was then asked to write a report about why the results were not that good. He was given a deadline that was before all scripts could be remarked or looked at and before the ALPS data had been received. Next, he was told by his line manager that he would be observed with 3 days notice. He was given a 4 for the observation and told he would be put on capability proceedings. The context of the situation is that he has been at the school for 17 years, is on UPS3 and the school is in 'requires improvement'. Due to this, the school is in a desperate financial crisis and it is hard not to think that this teacher, with one set or poor results (and other teachers with worse results who are not under the radar!) is being stitched up. Does anyone know what rights he has? Has anyone been in a similar situation. It seems very unfair to a member of staff who has been dedicated to the school for 17 years! Any advice gratefully received.

2. stmha

stmha Established commenter

I assume he had performance management reviews last year. What were the results of those reviews.
    A teacher doesnt suddenly develop problems in their teaching overnight, so if thats what they are suggesting then he needs to challenge this view robustly. Whether the seeks support from the union or not will depend on his circumstances. However capability seems very harsh for a single set of results and rather heavy handed if I might add.

Check the schools capability procedure, as it sounds like they have missed some stages.

I hope a school wouldnt resort to destroying a teachers career just to save some money, it may seem like an obvious link but it would be virtually impossible to substantiate. I would avoid making claims such as this and focus on the capability procedure.

Get back to me if you need any help.

3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Some heads destroy careers to save money. And more than a few I reckon...

I spoke to head a couple of weeks ago in our local, being careful not to let on that I was a teacher, and he took great delight in telling me how he used such procedures to get rid of staff he didn't want.

Apparently the idea is to heap so much work and pressure on the hapless victim that they choose to resign as meeting the targets is impossible.

fairygodmother1984 likes this.
  4. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Oh I am absolutely sure that this is becoming increasingly common.

Heads make sure they cover themselves by offering 'support' (anything but) so on paper it looks like they've done everything to help the teacher.

Sadly many HTs especially in Academies have Carte Blanche to treat their like this. Those expensive staff who do not perform to unrealistic targets are bullied out.

RedQuilt likes this.