1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Capability procedures

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Hockeymum, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Has anyone got advice about capability procedures regarding leading on behaviour management. Is is realistic to expect quantifiable success on practically every area of behaviour, sen achievement, 6th form achievement (having not been responsible previously), in a period of six weeks? Should support and suggestions be offered by the person leading the procedure? I know the procedure is confidential, but should governors be made aware that it is taking place? There is no concern regarding the teaching abilities of the person concerned. Any help or advice would be most appreciated. Thank you.

2. Has anyone got advice about capability procedures regarding leading on behaviour management. Is is realistic to expect quantifiable success on practically every area of behaviour, sen achievement, 6th form achievement (having not been responsible previously), in a period of six weeks? Should support and suggestions be offered by the person leading the procedure? I know the procedure is confidential, but should governors be made aware that it is taking place? There is no concern regarding the teaching abilities of the person concerned. Any help or advice would be most appreciated. Thank you.

3. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

I would hope so. Otherwise he or she is not fit to do it.

4. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Hmm, how long should it take? This is definitely a 'length of string' problem.
    However, I think it would be fair to have shown some improvement in some areas, such as 'implementing routines.' It's not a fair reflection on you if classes still misbehave after six weeks, because some are tougher than others and take longer. But what IS fair to expect, I think, is that the TEACHER at least has made some changes in what they do.
    This obviously entails that you have been given support and advice, and observations that aren't merely to assess you, but to diagnose and guide your practise in the classroom. If you haven't has that, then all the bluster in the world wouldn't justify a move against you.
    Expect and demand guidance. Then do it to the letter. Be observed doing it. Record what you implement, and record when children misbehave. Then ask your mentors what you should do now. Repeat, repeat, repeat. If you can show that you've done as you've been directed, then you have an excellent defence against procedures against you.
    Good luck
    Read more from Tom here on his blog, or follow him.