1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Capability Procedure

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by gepocock, Sep 29, 2017.

1. gepocock

gepocock New commenter

I have been teaching for many, many years. I have struggled in the last year and went on the teacher support programme. I tried so hard and it was deemed I improved, but it seems that my employer doesn't feel it has been sustained. I was called into a meeting and told that they will now call me for a formal interview for capability procedures. I went into meltdown, and after a night spent crying, and unable to sleep and seriously considering suicide, I went to the doctor and he signed me off for two weeks. I don't know what to do. Should I struggle back in next week or use the time. I am 60 years old and I won't have a state pension, or a work pension as I have only been on a contract for a few short years, prior to that supply. I really don't know what to do. Should I go back and try to pull it all together - or stay on the sick? Help please

install likes this.
  2. install

install Star commenter

If you are ill -then you are ill. Do not go back until you get better. Please get help from your GP and phone the Samaritans who can comfort you, support you and advise you anonymously if you wish.

If you are in a Union- they can also help with advice, support and counselling. It may be that your employer is being bullish and unsupportive here - do please do check with your Union.

But more importantly: YOU matter more than your job. If YOU are not well or over thinking things, it will make things seem harder than they actually are.

I would stay off ill -if your GP agrees and for quite some time. I have a mate who was ill for 5 months - she was having negative thoughts and alot of unfair pressure being put on her. She got a lot of help from the Union - and came back on a phased return months later.

She was a different person - she saw things differently and realised that work should never take a hold on her well being. So ....remember always:

YOU MATTER
    YOU BEING HAPPY MATTERS
    YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO HELP
    YOU CAN GET HELP
    PLEASE PHONE THE SAMARITANS
    YOU WILL FIND THE HAPPY YOU:)

Mattz1993, sabrinakat, drek and 13 others like this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

You stay off of course.

Your employer is signalling they don't want you there anyway... contact your Union... do it ASAP... and start looking for another job. And post here because many of us have been through this and we KNOW that there is light on the other side of the darkness.

4. george1963

george1963 Occasional commenter

I spent a few years teaching short term and fixed term supply in schools. Saw many teachers 'tackled' for poor performance and always thought it was more of a personality clash. e.g one headteacher very quiet and introverted told loud and extrovert teacher her style wasn't good enough so she needed coaching. Funnily enough extrovert teacher never quite made the grade. She's now working in a school where head positively seeks out teachers with 'loads of energy.'
    We're all different, find a school that suits your personality. And be you :)

5. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Needs a test case really. I’d be interested to know what the evidence base was for this capability. Who is it doing the judging and what their right to judge is? It really needs to be an LA process with a suitably qualified person who handles any such process. What if someone with just QTS tried to judge someone with a PGCE and a M.Ed? It’s got legal issues all over it.

Sorry to hear of your dilemma. They do indeed want you gone as others have said. The answer is to move to a local 'hard to recruit' school who will be delighted to have some experience and a steady pair of hands. You should seek to minimise the amount of time you spend at your current school. It is in no way a judgment of your teaching ability, just your cost. The system is rotten.

6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Step back and ask yourself "how is it humanly possible to have done all that work and not sustained a good level of performance. Just how?"
    Listen to this.
    They lied.
    What your employer actually feels is that you are unaffordable, and they have tried to mask that truth by veiling it in jagged pieces of your broken self esteem.

That's important, because when this is all resolved and you come to assuage your fear and uncertainty about the future, you might find a residual doubt about your own skills which they put there, not you. In fact, you are as good in your job as you always were, probably even better from such intensive endeavour.

Monsters.
    Their loss is another's gain.

7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Contact for the samaritans here

https://community.tes.com/threads/the-samaritans.747938/

Sorry you're in a bad place. It does sound as if they want you out.
    For the time being your main priority is to recover enough to be able to make a sensible decision. If they want you out, stay out for a while.
    Once you are feeling less rattled, then you can make a sensible decision about what you do with your career.
    See if you can judge whether they want to replace you at Christmas or whether they'll not give you too much grief if you work through to the end of summer. Obviously talk to your union to ensure that your legal interests are watched.
    There are other jobs out there. You are more than your job.
    Hugs

sandrabarrett, Ozchic, drek and 5 others like this.
  8. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Hello @Oldhag57

[I must confess I didn't particularly enjoy typing that username...]

Have you read the responses to your other thread? If not, please do.

Take care.

9. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Excellent post. Quite outstanding, in my opinion.

They lied. That's what. Some people have no scruples about doing so. People with consciences, like you, and the contributors on here, wouldn't dream of acting like this. Unfortunately in this world there are people at the senior level in schools who lie for their own convenience, for their own gain. They really are the lowest of the low.

Please do not believe a word they say, or at the very least treat it with immense suspicion. A thief wants to make money out of you, and does so blatantly. A crooked salesman wants to make money out of you, but does it a bit more sneakily. The senior management here are doing it even more sneakily - so sneakily in fact that you've started to take their lies seriously.

Please take care of yourself, and continue to come on here for support.

10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Many of us have been where you are now. I was lucky to have my Teachers Pension to escape with (although i went off sick first) but others have had to struggle on. Someone else I know who was in this position left the school and went on supply and ended up with a long term contract in a school she loved. Is supply something you could do for a while? Different pressures but at least people are grateful you are there.

You are not well at the moment so get signed off and reassess your options. Be honest with the GP about how low you are feeling and get some help. Don't let the b@stards grind you down.

sandrabarrett, Ozchic, drek and 7 others like this.
  11. Mrs_Hamilton

Mrs_Hamilton Occasional commenter

Everyone's advice above is good. I have nothing much to add.

Look after you!

GP.
    Time off.

GET WELL!

Possibly resign. Possibly do supply. Possibly find a different job.

I say possibly because those things work for some people. If you take time off you can have the time to consider your next move.
    But most important - take care of you!

12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Don't be tempted to do this.
    If you are going to leave (recommended), instead, press your union for a "negotiated exit".
    Why resign according to contract when they ought to at least be cushioning you in apology for their self serving deceptions?

13. Mrs_Hamilton

Mrs_Hamilton Occasional commenter

Good advice @sbkrobson !
    You're right. I wish I'd been brave enough to do this in the past. Yes, a 'negotiated exit' would be better.
    Do they come with an agreed reference?

14. install

install Star commenter

And even then...go off ill first (if your GP agrees) and try to get better first. It may take several months, then a phased return...
    Who knows? Sometimes an employer even backs off if someone has been ill for so long - they have to be seen to support.

SO GET WELL FIRST- AND FIND THE HAPPY YOU ...LET IT TAKE SEVERAL MONTHS IF IT NEEDS TO :)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  15. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Quite possibly.
    They come in all shapes and sizes; "negotiated exit" is not a one size fits all scenario.
    It basically means "look, I'll go, you can be free of me, but you need to help me along here and recognise I'm helping you. I'm going to go quietly, without objecting to all the wrongs I might be able to document, because actually I like you. In return, you are going to sweeten this with a thank you which you can talk to my union about. You can offer them what they think it takes to make my future what it always ought to have been without you meddling with my prospects"

Compared to "resign" which basically means "I'm going to go according to the terms you made me sign when I started with you, because at least that way we're out of each other's hair"

In the approaching capability scenario, "resigning" is the equivalent of running away, leaving the files they created as they stand. "Negotiating an exit" is the equivalent of a truce and a formal pact to assist each other in whatever it takes to move past a negative situation.

16. gepocock

gepocock New commenter

I just wondered if they I could try harder, put it back together, but everyone seems to agree they want me gone. As I myself thought. I have been in touch with the union. I possibly do need to leave and probably should stay on the sick. If I go back and try, it probably won't make any difference when it seems they want me gone. Oh God!

17. install

install Star commenter

Great to see you on here OP -thankyou for posting.Take plenty of time off as suggested....wait until you get better. Until you are stronger...happier...and rested.

Think of YOU - not work now, and keep posting if you need to. :):);)

Make sure you tell your GP - they will sign you off. You must plan to go to the GP - make an emergency appointment ..

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  18. gepocock

gepocock New commenter

I need a reference to move on. I'd be quite happy to go onto supply again, but without a good reference that would be impossible.But I suppose I could stay on the sick for a while, and have a stay of execution.

slingshotsally likes this.
  19. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

You are clearly in a distressed state (understandably) . No one should be expecting or urging you to make decisions at in this state -that includes the school. Get as much time as you can to feel better and get yourself well enough to be able to stand back and make tha right desciion. You need support in doing this. Your GP and union should be able ( in different ways) to give this

chelsea2, EmanuelShadrack and pepper5 like this.
  20. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi

So much sensible and wise advice above, but just wanted to add just one or two thoughts.

You are worth so much more than the job you have and you are a beautiful person inside and out no matter your age.

Your first step is to rest and follow your doctor's advice. Then on Monday, call your union because they will be I a position to advise you to get the best deal possible if you do decide to leave. Your most important thing will be a decent reference. Also, they will be able to explain your options and all the legal aspects of it.

When you feel up to it, call the Education Support Network since they also offer support to teachers and they may be able to listen and also offer some other suggestions.

Call the CAB and find out if there is someone there who can discuss any benefits you might be eligible for. It is not a crime to need help and you have worked many years and paid into the system.

Don't hesitate to call the Samaritans 24/7 as they care as we do and they will be able to listen.

Try not to think too far into the future, just take one day at a time.