1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

capability for teaching head?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by good_karma1, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Can teaching heads be put through capability procedures as regular teachers can? If a teaching head has taken no part in planning, assessing preparing reports or providing adequate teaching on their teaching days, what is the procedure?

2. Not to say it couldn't, wouldn't or shouldn't happen; but just who would be the arbiter of this process?
    Sounds to me as if there is more to this than we are being given here.

3. Genuine question. Who indeed would be the arbiter? Is the system fair or susceptible to whitewash/immunity? Or is it really just a case of unrealistic expectation to be a headteacher and have teaching commitments? How do headteachers manage this role?

4. ALL headteachers should be fully vetted for:
    *Qualifications??
    *ECRBs??
    *GTCE registration?
    *Financial fraud?
    *Unwarranted expenses claims??
    Too many are hiding behind their ALL POWERFUL POSITIONS? Many may be fakes, posturers and scamsters???

5. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Only the self employed pay themselves.
    Heads have to provide their qualifications and crb on appointment and every 3 years, just like all teachers. Expenses claims have to be signed off by 2 others (im told - never claimed any)Get over the fact you're not the boss or train yourself and become the boss.

6. You sound like a boss of bosses? Perhaps you are amazingly indispensable???? (and above everyone else?)
    What if more or less entire SLT at the particular school is corrupt?

7. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

What a strange thing to say. I'm not the boss of bosses I'm merely pointing out procedures which are common knowledge in schools. Have you never heard of audit? Or the governor finance committee? Or the full governing body? Or whistleblowing?
    I'm not denying there are some dodgy heads, just as there are some dodgy teachers, dodgy TAs , dodgy parents, dodgy governors etc. I'm merely pointing out that heads do not "pay themselves" and that there are plenty of stringent financial procedures in place which mean that they don't go undetected for too long.

8. curlygirly is correct as far as state maintained schools go (apart from the bit about having to renew CRBs every 3 years. That sounds like a local policy. I wouldn't know as I don't have a CRB and Yes I am head of a maintained school).
    There are dodgy people about in all walks of life. Usually they get caught. In any state school there should be a series of checks and balances including seraration of duties etc designed to prevent fraud.
    Any pay rise I get has to be notified to the LA by the governors. I am still waiting for them to do so from my PM last September!

9. Who usually carries out the PM of a headteacher?

10. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

It's carried out by an external assessor and a small panel of governors.
    The headteacher is the only member of school staff to have their Performance Managed externally.
    The headteacher is also the only member of staff who can have their pay rise turned down by the governing body for financial reasons.
    So for example if a teacher meets all their targets they progress up the pay spine or through the threshold regardless of the financial state of the school.
    If a deputy or assistant head meets all their targets they are recommended for a point on the pay scale and the governors can not say no unless they have reason to believe the targets have not been met.Again the financial state of the school is not considered.
    If a head meets all their targets the panel can recommend a pay rise but if the governing body thinks the budget is too tight to cover it, they can refuse to pay it.
    I too am awaiting my payrise from September, every other member of staff got theirs in October following their PM review. Ah well, joys of headship eh?
    RE the CRB thing, ours automatically come up for renewal after 3 years - the LA post them out to us to complete - the expectation from Ofsted last time was that no one one the SCR should have a CRB predating 2009.

11. I am going to take a deep breath and say that I think you are wrong in saying that a GB can refuse to meet a pay recommendation for a HT because of financial reasons. I can't find any evidence to support this assertion.
    If you have such evidence I would dearly like to know.

12. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Sorry curlygirl but almost everything you said about HTs/DHTs/AHTs is wrong.
    As far as salary progession is concerned, in all 3 roles the governing body (usually by delegation to a committee) decides whether or not to award a payrise. There is no difference in principle between the 3 roles in what the governors can and cannot take into account in deciding whether to give a payrise. In all three roles the governing body must [to quote STPCD] "must have regard to any recommendation on pay progression recorded in the (HT's/DHT's/AHT's) most recent planning and review statement". The only difference is that if there is any recommednation on pay it will be made in the head's case by the governors review panel and in the DHT's/AHT's case by the head. "Have regard to" does not mean that the recommendation, if any, has to be followed. There is nothing in STPCD or employment law to support your assertion that governors cannot decline a pay rise to a HT/DHT/AHT for financial reasons, although equally a HT/DHT/AHT could legitimately bring a grievance if it was recommended but not paid. Personally I think it would be wrong for the GB to refuse to movement up the pay spine because of the state of the school's finances but legally there's nothing that prohibits governors doing that.
    The other requirement that applies equally to HT/DHT/AHT is that there cannot be any pay increase unless their most recent performance review shows there has been a sustained high quality of performance.
    Headteachers do not have their performance externally assessed and there is no such thing as an external 'assessor'. Their perfomance is internally assessed by a panel of 2 or 3 governors. The governors' panel must appoint an external <u>adviser</u>, which is an entirely different matter to an 'assessor'. The adviser advises, the panel can accept that advice, wholly or in part, or reject it. The adviser makes no judgements of their own. The external adviser does not comment on pay or advise on whether there should be a pay rise.

13. It seems to me then that a cosy relationship between the HT and the GB is highly beneficial. I have heard one HT say their GB does whatever the HT tells them. How are these relationships regulated? If a teaching head can't teach but the other teachers are gaining a good reputation for the school, the GB will believe whatever the HT wants them to. With performance related pay looming and nepotism rife I am not sure I like the way this could be heading..... :/

14. I know the head can't teach because she has told members of staff this frequently (and laughed about it) and on her teaching days has over 1 hour assemblies and 45 min breaks, Short lessons sandwiched in somewhere,,,,,

15. Rott Weiler

ie, you don't know that she can't teach. Many people say self-deprecating things about them their abilities but it doesn't mean that what they say is objectively true.
    Why don't you just ask the head to include every term in their report to the GB details of how many lesson observations have been done and how they have been graded. This should be routine reporting to the GB otherwise how are you monitoring quality of teaching in your school? Then you can legitimately ask HT if the data includes observation of her lessons.

16. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

I love the way you assume that curlygirly is wrong, rather than things working differently in different LAs. The 'assessor' that my Govs appointed, was exactly that. She met with me, reviewed last year's PM targets etc. She gave a full report to the Chair and Vice-Chair and recommended a pay rise.
    Teaching staff at my school have not had a pay increase in 2 yrs due to a freeze on teachers' pay being increased. This may be a local condition, but I thought it was national.

17. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

Well,as my assessor was someone very high up in the LA, I won't worry too much about the legality of it all. I shall make sure I check my pay slip next month though to see if the pay rise has come through!

18. Rott Weiler

Absolutely, let's not worry about silly little things like the law as long as the head gets their payrise. I hope your governors don't show the same cavalier attitude to their legal obligations in everything they do.

19. What's in a name? The role described sounds to me to be exactly correct.

20. Rott Weiler

The governors don't do the head's PM but an LA external assessor does it, and that's exactly correct? You must be joking.