1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Capability even though you are recognised as a good teacher.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jane1962, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Hello, my HT is talking about putting me on capability because she has had 3 complaints from parents that I have treated their children unfairly in the class . I have got a large class 30+ teaching the whole of KS2 and it's a struggle TBH. However there is no question about my teaching/organisation/committment and so on, apparantly it;s all about "relationships" in the class.
    I am in a terrible state about this, I can't eat, sleep I just spend all my time thinking about it and having anxiety attacks. I have made an appointment to see my GP but that isn't until next Thursday. I have been off with stress before and was on anti depressants but managed to get another job and come off them and I genuinely thought I was doing a good job.
    Just finding all very difficult to deal with, does anyone out there have any experience/advice on capability for an issue of relationships? I have found plenty of threads about capability based on alleged poor teaching but nothing like the circumstances I describe.

Thanks, BB

2. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Is this for real?
    Tell me you have contacted your union, please.

3. Unbelievable! Have you been able to put your side of the story? You don't seem to have had a lot of support in that school. As NellyFUF wrote, contact the union immediately.

4. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Capability can address any of the professional teaching standards, which inlcude aspects beyond lesson delivery such as relationships with students.
    Get help/advice from your union immediately and do not post any more information on TES

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

get a ne school if the head isn willing too support you as ateacher against the noises of parents............although i assume you have asked for the parents names and asked for a meeting with them, if necessary with a member of staff present?
    Do not just accept that some one has said....ask to see the parents to sort it out...a
    after all you do not know what lies kids tell as they go home.
    Mine tell their parents they have not been in trouble for days .when in fact they are sent out every day for misbehaviour!

6. Thanks for all your sound advice, I have contacted the union and I am feeling a little calmer now.

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

After meeting with a good Union district secretary your HT will wish they'd been dealing with a pit bull terrier.

8. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

You can also ring teacher support line.

9. http://www.teachersupport.info/?gclid=CKGmy8fU7qYCFQse4QodBA-WGQ
    That is a ridiculous comment from your HT. You need to speak to the parents and get to the bottom of this horrible accusation. Parents have a right to complain, but their complaints need to have substance! Some complain for the sake of it. I think one person's had a grumble in the playground and then another two have jumped on the bandwagon. You have a right of redress on this. I can tell that you are a fair teacher, otherwise this wouldn't be upsetting you so much. You would be brushing this stupidity off if it wasn't for the fact that you've been ill previously.I'm guessing this event has caused all those old feelings to raise their ugly heads. Been there, got the T shirt. Do you have a TA who works with you, who could speak up for you? Take care in the meantime.x

10. How on earth can you tell this?
    We have a teacher at our school who is so nice, level headed, enthusiastic, cares what they are doing <u>but</u> is not considered to be fulfilling their professional duty. They get upset by what is happening around them but this alone does not make 'a fair teacher'. If the lack of effective relationships is causing an issue then this does need to be dealt with. You
    Support is a great thing and it should be given in spades on here but it should be factual support giving direction to those who can really help. No one knows what is really happening so people should avoid 'lifting hopes' and concentrate on being constructive and calming. That is a more fair thing to do.

11. How on earth can you tell this?
    We have a teacher at our school who is so nice, level headed, enthusiastic, cares what they are doing <u>but</u> is not considered to be fulfilling their professional duty. They get upset by what is happening around them but this alone does not make 'a fair teacher'. If the lack of effective relationships is causing an issue then this does need to be dealt with. You
    Support is a great thing and it should be given in spades on here but it should be factual support giving direction to those who can really help. No one knows what is really happening so people should avoid 'lifting hopes' and concentrate on being constructive and calming. That is a more fair thing to do.
    cannot

12. How on earth can you tell this?
    cannot give

13. How on earth can you tell this?
    cannot give an

14. Stupid thing!!!
    How on earth can you tell this?
    We have a teacher at our school who is so nice, level headed, enthusiastic, cares what they are doing <u>but</u> is not considered to be fulfilling their professional duty. They get upset by what is happening around them but this alone does not make 'a fair teacher'. If the lack of effective relationships is causing an issue then this does need to be dealt with. You cannot make the judgement it is parental 'chat' that is causing this.

15. Well said (even if you did post it numerous times! [​IMG] )
    We know very little about the poster and their situation, just what is posted in the OP. In cases like this comments should be supportive without making assumptions.

16. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Someone posted on TES afew years ago about how to deal with unjustified allegations by pupils or parents.
    Apparently, you go to a solicitor and swear and affadavit about the incident. You detail your version of events. (I suppose you'd need a sworn affadavit for each incident/allegation). You then provide the school with a copy and suggest that the parent/s consider their own position.
    If the person alleging something against is not prepared to sear an affadavit countering your version, they can no longer pursue a case.
    If you are found to have lied when searing your affadavit, you'd be legally liable for perjury charges.
    Ask your union if it's a course of action to consider.
    You do need specific details of the criticisms made against you; if you are even slightly 'at fault' you can't be expected to deal with issues that you are not even aware are a cause for concern.

17. Please don't tell me what my comments 'should' be like. I don't do that other posters. Last time I looked, this was a free speech forum. I was speaking from my own perception of the information given by the OP. If you don't agree, that's fine! I wasn't actually speaking to you.

18. Thanks for all the replies and the link, I have contacted my union who have been most supportive. mrs chips I think you are right about playground gossip and grumbles, there will always be a group of parents who complain. What distresses me most about the situation I find myself in is the way the HT has abandoned me over this incident, I may be niave but any HT worth their their salt would support their staff surely?

19. If only! [​IMG]

20. Yes. I would have expected the HT to have consulted you on this issue and given you right of reply. Following that perhaps she may or may not have asked you to have a meeting with her and the parents involved, ( plus your union rep too). However, simply to assume that you need 'capability procedures' without any further discussion[​IMG]
    The head's not doing her job.