1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Capability and Supply

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Pizza4Tea, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Has anyone experienced joining a supply agency with capability on their reference?

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi

You might want to post this on the supply forum board as well as this one.

3. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

One should get their union to ensure that capability does not appear on a reference. Obviously anyone with a brain can read between the lines but the word 'capability' does not need to appear, if the union is on the ball.

4. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

To be honest, as long as you can prove that you are who you say you are and that you don't have a criminal record, agencies will sign you up. The agencies often don't take up references. By law they have to ensure that you are DBS cleared. That's that. Whether you are a brilliant teacher or just so so is not their problem. They really are just playing a numbers game. They're not schools, they are businesses going for volume sales. Get a reference from someone else.

fairygodmother1984 likes this.
  5. Don't know about having it on reference but I have managed to get supply-explain to the agency and see what happens-good luck!

6. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

It depends on the agency. Some of them have very strict 'compliance' regulations, some ludicrously so, which preclude many otherwise perfectly adequate teachers from registering. for example, a problem with 'agreed references' is that some agencies send in a tick box questionnaire, which the school will not complete. Others ask for checkable references going back decades, from schools that no longer exist and from people who are dead. These seem to be those that are general employment agencies that do education as a side line. Some agencies insist that you have full-time classroom experience within the last, say, six months.

7. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

I signed up with various agencies after a compromise agreement as a result of ill health and capability. (the capability didn't finish because my health broke first, a frequent occurrence)

I was completely up front about my experiences and what had happened and had no problem getting work. If you do have problems with one agency find another.

As long as when you go into schools you behave in an appropriate way then there is no problem what your past is. Some teachers rediscover themselves this way.

8. thenorris

thenorris New commenter

When I was placed on informal capability, I was told that it would not appear on any reference.

I'm not sure about capability. However, as the advise above suggests, new start, new challenges.

I was put on a (anything but useful) support program that was six weeks long. Four weeks before Christmas, two weeks afterwards. I went off with stress two weeks after Christmas and returned to a meeting where I was placed on IC.

The thing was that the school had already made its decision about my support program and that I was to fail. When challenged by my Union about how this program caused my stress, how the program didn't suit my needs and why the school did not support me when I told them that my depression was becoming an issue, the school changed it tune.

When I went to other schools and recanted my tale to staff, my colleagues were shocked that I could even be considered to be incapable of my job, or that I was treated this way.

Supply agencies now contact me left right and centre, and my current school that I am doing supply in wants to offer me a job.

When I left this school, ironically my agency said said they my reference from this school was one of the very best they have ever read. Funny eh?

9. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

With me, the stress of the job brought on a physical illness, eczema, which lead me take ARP with a pay off. A combination of jumping after being pushed. My sick absence record for my last few months is not good, which, I expect, does me no favours when I apply for other jobs. Agencies take me on but seem to put me right at the bottom of the pile, even for day-to-day work, perhaps because of this, I don't know. Like Norris, agencies still keep contacting me to join up with them but they don't seem to use me.

10. azzie

azzie New commenter

It some ways it's great to know I am not the only one where illness/capability become a vicous circle but on the other hand it is horrific to know it happens to so many of us. This may be pedantic but is capability a "disciplinay action"? One agency has asked if I have ever been disciplined not really sure what to reply.

11. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

No, capability is not disciplinary in schools. I've worked in private sector companies where capability and disciplinary were combined in the same policy because the company's view was that capability was a disciplinary issue but that isn't what happens in schools. (Their logic was that lack of capability damaged the company's reputation in the eyes of its clients and damaging the reputation was a disciplinary matter).

In schools the law (School Staffing Regulations 2009) has separate requirements relating to disciplinary and capability. Regulation 7 says schools must have a disciplinary procedure, regulation 8 that schools must have a capability procedure. Therefore they must be two different things. Therefore if you were dealt with under your school's capability it couldn't have been a disciplinary matter.