1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cant work because I'm a f/t carer ... But keep being offered work by agencies!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mrs Mo, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Talk about ironic ... I gave up work to look after my mum (88 yrcs old with dementia). Yet I keep being offered work by various agencies. I had a call from. Reed today offering me a TA job with a special needs child. I am so annoyed because I keep having to turn these jobs down! Yet when I was job hunting about 18 months ago, could I get a job? Could I heck! What is going on???

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

The law of sod.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Just a thought Mrs Mo. (By the way I think it's called Murphy's Law or another name!)
    Would you like to take up the job offers?If so, you need to think;
    Am I going to be able to continue looking after my Mother like this for years? Is she going to need more care than I can provide, perhaps sooner than I expect? You are , after all entitled to a life of your own and one day you might need to pick up your own life again. You don't want to leave the 'barn door shut' as it were, it needs to be left ajar.
    Now you know, from my Alzheimer's thread that I'm dealing with the same scenario and I'm not being unsympathetic here. But if you were working could you afford some care to look after your Mother whilst you were at school?
    It really boils down to whether you think you're 'losing out' by not considering the job offers or whether you feel 'under no circumstances!'.Did you take on the care role because there were no other job opportunities and might now be re-considering?

4. No, I don't want to work. I am pretty sure these jobs are temp contract and poorly paid. I have enough on my plate at the moment. I was working p/t up until Sept last year, when it all got rather stressful and I became ill. I realised then that I could no longer juggle working with being a carer. I still have some health issues, that appear to be a mystery ... no doctor seems to be able to tell me what is going on. My OH has a very good job which pays all our bills, so I don't need to work. I am getting Carer's Allowance, so I am getting something for my efforts (peanuts)!