1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can't take this anymore

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by 19sunflower, Nov 15, 2015.

1. 19sunflower

19sunflower New commenter

Hi,

Thing are going from bad to worse. The school I was working in as an English conversation asistant have asid that they don't want me to go back just now now explanation given. The head teacher just phoned the academy who have the contract and told them that I wasn't to go into the school the following day. The only thing I can think of is that they don't link me asking what I need to cover is my session. I'm not a trained teacher and I don't know if they realise that. They said the kids were getting bored, but I'm doing my best. I'm learning and don't have the same training or experience as they do. They limit themselves to teaching from the book and speaking activities are minimal.

I don't know what to do. The situation is making me feel worthless and not good enough.

Can anyone help, please?

2. indusant

indusant Senior commenter

Hello, I don't know about conversation assistants but just wanted to reply and offer some support. Does it say they can do this in your contract? I would think that surely they would at least give an explanation. But rest assured, you are not worthless. I've been to places on supply ( as a teacher) worked hard, only to be told not to return. It's devastating at the time, but in retrospect the place wasn't right for me anyway. I also went on to teach elsewhere and found somewhere where I was appreciated. Try not to take things personally. Schools are businesses now and some can treat people very shoddily. It's their loss. Take care.

19sunflower likes this.
  3. Horatio_Blows

Horatio_Blows Senior commenter

I agree with the comments above. They must have known you were not trained when they took you on. Surely they had your CV? So they are being unrealistic to expect a non-trained person to behave as though they've had training. Try not to take it personally. They are being very unprofessional in not giving you a reason for not coming back. But many schools are like that these days. So why let it bother you?