1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

can't stop eating

Discussion in 'Personal' started by slippeddisc, Feb 25, 2011.

1. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

I am at my fattest ever weight. Seriously overweight now and unfit and unhealthy.
    I need a kick up the ****. Help help help.
    I have tried slimming world many times and have tried weight watchers too. Slimming world worked when I lived with my parents but when left to my own devices I have zero will power. My clothes don't fit, I feel ugly and unwomanly and I hate how I look. Ahhh!

2. slippeddisc

I am at my fattest ever weight. Seriously overweight now and unfit and unhealthy.
    I need a kick up the ****. Help help help.
    I have tried slimming world many times and have tried weight watchers too. Slimming world worked when I lived with my parents but when left to my own devices I have zero will power. My clothes don't fit, I feel ugly and unwomanly and I hate how I look. Ahhh!

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

How much do you want to lose?

4. I know the feeling, I am in the exact same boat! It sucks! I want to get back into my old clothes but i need a kick up the behind aswell (i've resorted to buying shoes, and they always fit!)

I've just joined weight watchers online, but find inputting everything I eat a complete faff. Have also been trying slim fast, ( for breakfast, and then 2 small healthy meals for lunch and dinner), but thats gone to pot since half term arrived!
    It doesn't help that there is still xmas choccie around, and OH has started bringing home mini eggs.

5. Am with you honey - do you want to join and bolster together?

6. slippeddisc

I want to lose about 3 stone. I NEED to lose 6 stone.

7. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

That's do-able. I'm now four and a half stone down... and it's not honestly been that hard.
    Try the thread on H&Wb about losing 3 stone +.

8. slippeddisc

Yes please. How much do you need to lose?

9. slippeddisc

That's fab lil. Well done. I will try that thread.

10. henriette

henriette New commenter

Question 1: <u>WHY </u>are you overeating? Is it a symptom of an underlying unhappiness that needs addressing?
    Question 2: is it purely overeating or a symptom of something else? Are your energy in/energy out levels in balance?

I'm 5'8", size 20: I put on the weight when I came off the Pill 17 years ago (went from size 12 to size 18 in 3 months) due to a previously undiagnosed hormonal "blip" (PCOS).

11. slippeddisc

1. I am unhappy in my job but in this day and age I am lucky to have one. I am single and if I am honest rather lonely and bored. I do evening classes and go out whenever people ask but it doesn't make up for having someone who cares for you and wants to know how your day has been. Vicious circle though because who would want to go out with someone who looks like they have eaten another person!!
    2. Purely overeating and eating too much rubbish.

12. I bet you say those horrible things to yourself dozens of times a day. I'm not surprised if you were to go from a day listening to yourself say nasty things, straight to the shop to get some nice treats.
    I spent money on seeing a counsellor coz I was having real trouble with eating and weight and it was well worth it for me! he pointed out that in the hour I spent with him, I told him I was fat and disgusting 9 times. in one hour. He mentioned that as well as the weight I wanted to lose, this habit of being really nasty to myself might be a reason why I was finding it hard to stick to a healthy eating/exercise plan. What he said made sense, and I've found it increasingly easy to avoid the temptations - not every day, but most days. Just by thinking about myself and my attitude to food differently.
    one day at a time. I've been slowly but steadily changing my weight and shape. Realistically, it's going to take me a year. I do not look in the mirror and hate myself anymore, but I think about how well I am doing in getting to where I want to be. I bought some clothes which fit and flatter, so that when I get up in the morning, I do not think 'you fat ugly ***' as I look in the mirror, but instead 'not bad, and getting better.' I am strict with myself about the one class a week I definitely go to, and plan ahead for those weeks when schoolwork prevents this. I made myself a star chart, because I find it easier to motivate myself when I have a visual reminder of my achievements. and I like the stars [​IMG] and I tick off - visits to the gym, out on the bike, going to classes, eating well and when I do have some chocolate, so that the next day I can say to myself - yeh, you *can* have that twirl, but you did just have a lion bar - it's not necessary today.' I've sat and thought about what I want to achieve, and how I've managed it before. I've thought about how I can reward myself without eating chocolate, and how I can reduce the worries in my life without eating chocolate. Life is becoming easier and less stressful now that I am being nicer to myself!

You can do this. you just have to decide how you are going to get it done. and then stop making excuses for yourself and do it [​IMG]

13. If your eating is out of control you have to treat it as you would advise a drinker whose drinking is out of control: put yourself out of its way.
    Avoid the shops. Draw yourself up a menu for the week and order the food online. Have no cakes, sweets, biscuits, cheese, cream, sweetened drinks or alcohol in the house. Whatever you have in the way of fattening rubbish, give or throw away. It isn't a waste. It's a plan. Take no money to work with you so you can't top up with snacks. Turn down restaurant and cafe trips - say you have something on but will meet them later. And radically increase the exercise. It's not forever.
    It won't do anything to tackle the underlying reasons but it is a practical step.

14. henriette

henriette New commenter

I'm sure you need to work on a more positive self-image.......omg - that sounds so Californian!!! .......... but once you learn to accept yourself and your life, the misery-eating will go (honest).
    IMHO, this is more important than nibbling lettuce and carrots for 6 months and feeling permanently hungry: do your friends/family know how you feel about yourself?
    Acceptance is the BIG issue - once you are happy in your own skin, eating will tail off and weight gain with it!! I am large, but happy with myself now - I was miserable for several years and it all just spiralled downwards. It is a cycle you need to break. Maybe a shopping trip with a sympathetic but honest friend to show you that you <u>can </u>look good in clothes without resorting to tents might start the process???????

15. henriette

henriette New commenter

PS: If Reading is anywhere accessible to you, I'll take you shopping!!!

16. This is not an offer to be treated lightly - H is one SERIOUS shopper!!!!!!
    C x

17. ...With immaculate dress sense!
    C x

18. henriette

henriette New commenter

Well hello there cathyd - long time no see - how are you??? what's new??

19. I spent ages telling myself that I needed to lose weight, get fitter, be healthier - and making half-ar$ed attempts at doing it (and rewarding myself with treats for the times I did do something). But then I'd think 'what's the point?' when I didn't see any changes in myself. I always had excuses and good reasons why I couldn't do this or that. I guess my point is that until you are ready to do it for yourself then you won't do it.
    One morning I woke up and I did it - started exercising, eating healthily, generally taking better care of myself and doing more with my time. It wasn't planned, it just felt like the right time. I used my Wii balance board and a couple of fitness programmes for about 40 minutes every day and started walking 2 miles a day. After 3 weeks I had lost 10lbs and was feeling good so I decided to treat myself - new trainers, some nice kit to exercise in and started looking around for gym membership offers. I added some swimming into the mix and bought myself a new costume.
    For me the most important thing was keeping a food and exercise diary. I used an online diary(caloriecount.com, but have since changed over to using My Fitness Pal) and discovered that I am actually quite competitive with myself! I have discovered that I like the challenge of beating my own goals (on caloriecount you can see the nutritional content of your diet and it can be quite tricky to get the balance right!). I also got a Nike+ kit so that I can track my distance and pace - again I love beating my own records, but hate walking or running with anyone else.
    Nine months later and I'm 4 stones lighter, much fitter, exercising every day for the joy of it - running, swimming, boxing, cycling... whatever takes my fancy I will give it a go! I still log my food and exercise because it helps to keep me focused. I have odd days where I eat **** and do minimal amounts of exercise but I tell myself that it's just one day. Then I get back into my usual routine.
    You will do it and it will be much easier if you can find something that motivates you. You are doing this for yourself and that's something that you really need to understand and commit to. Don't rely on other people to motivate you. Support from others is great but it's your own inner motivation that will make you succeed. Good luck with it!

20. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I really agree with lily except for one thing - it is for ever. Once you've lost the weight you will have to hold on to your healthier habits or you'll be back where you started. But in time you will learn to love fruit instead of cake / biscuits and lots of fatty food will make you feel ill. Start today - you've got so much to gain from this and once the weight starts falling off you'll be so excited. Good luck - do it do it do it!!!