1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can't stop blushing

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by casperino, Mar 30, 2012.

1. casperino

casperino New commenter

Hi everyone!

I'm hoping someone can give me some tips or advice about this! I am due to kick start my teaching career with the PGCE from September, but I'm worried that I'm going to be held back by a problem I have with going bright red.

When I meet new people, am asked to talk in groups or at meetings, or to stand up and give presentations, my face flushes, I go bright red, and I get red patches on my neck, chest, shoulders and arms. I might be perfectly normal one minute, and then the next I can feel the heat rising on my face. I might not even be nervous before hand, or have met the people before in one-on-one sessions, where I've been perfectly comfortable, but still it keeps happening.

It started when I was around 14 and I would get up on stage to sing at school. It went away whilst I was doing A Levels and studying for my undergraduate degree, but it seems to have come back with a vengeance over the last couple of years.

I'm worried this is going to affect my teaching and my being taken seriously by the children (I'm doing a secondary PGCE). Has anyone got any suggestions or advice on how I can combat this, or, if I can't, how I can get around it?

Thanks!

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I do this too in all the situations you mention. But for some reason it has never happened in a classroom, or not unless something very unusual happens and I am actually embarrassed. I think it must be something to do with it only happening in front of adults, not children. (Although I work in primary now, I also did a secondary PGCE)

I'd say don't worry about it and you may have nothing to fear. Worry about it if it actually happens.

3. casperino

casperino New commenter

Just thinking on it, when I am talking to groups of younger people (when I say that, I mean anyone around typical uni-student age) it doesn't happen at all... so maybe you're right minnieminx! I hadn't thought about it before...

4. Before I started my secondary pgce i was worried that I would constantly mumble my words as I seem to do when I am put on the spot, even though I am a confident person. However, when I get in front of a class I go into me alter ego of a teacher, never am I yet to get all mumbly flustered! Anyway my point is that you will soon get so used to being in front of a class that it wont be a problem, being stood at the front becomes second nature.
    Good luck next year, dont believe the war stories!!!

5. I get HORRIBLY nervous presenting in fromt of even a few adults; 30 + kids and I'm fine. Odd, but it's quite common- I wouldn't worry about it!

6. casperino

casperino New commenter

Thanks guys - this is putting my mind at ease!