1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can't sleep

Discussion in 'Personal' started by charlie2, Oct 9, 2002.

1. notsure

notsure New commenter

got a couple of hours ta. Didnt set my alarm but the cat woke me up this morning when it wanted his breakfast!

NS x

2. Alarm went of at 6 I turned over and went back to sleep.

3. Have spent about a year not sleeping well. May be down to knee injury that is painful at night; may be down to worry about a big move up north, and having no job....may be the menopause......

We have a bought a memory foam mattress topper, a chillow, herbal insomnia remedies and nothing works. Now trying not to drink any caffeinated drinks.

Any other ideas?

I have to say I have not checked through the whole thread....

4. Not the best person to ask to be honest.

5. I am fed up not being able to sleep!

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

Hi Mixu. I should have been in bed hours ago but here I am. As soon as I know I don't have to go to work I stay up all hours. It's not insomnia so much as making the most of every available moment. I'll feel like death tomorrow morning but, as I said, I don't have to go to work. Actually I'm nervous since the emergency that shut our school is over. The boss couldn't have known that early enough today to tell the parents, so the school iss till shut tomorrow. I only heard late this eveing that the emergency is over, so I've slacked on the reports and gone to the pub to watch france v Spain. I rather dread being rung at 8:30 and told to come in anyway. Would it be unethical to not answer the phone?

Back to the point: I think there;s a lot in what I said about making the most of every available moment. Thats not the cause of insomnia, I know (and I've suffered from terrible insomnia from time to time) but I think it's a significant factor in my case.

Got the maths reports done. Hope you're well X

7. Hi Inky, I am not working tomorrow either and usually have an 'awake' night at least once a week. Tonight I went to bed about 10.30 ... back up at 11.15 .... faffed about until 1.30ish... still could not sleep so up again.

Hope you manage to get your reports finished and have a peaceful day tomorrow.

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

Ta. Mr inky and I sleep mainly apart during the week because he's a light sleeper and I snore. That and living in central London have played havoc with my sleep patterns. Worse - and this is really embarrassing to admit - my tic du jour is toe-contorting, and it's a bloody pest when you're trying to get to sleep, I can tell you! Some people have restless legs; I have manic toes.

Oh well. I loved it last time I was in Brum, sleeping on the sofa bed in the living-room because the bedroom was half-decorated. I accidentally left on BB and, when I woke up at four in the morning, the sound of gentle snoring helped me get back to sleep again!

9. Compared to your housing situation mine should be idyllic ..... so quiet you can hear a pin drop anywhere in the house most of the time. I live in a little town on the coast .... very quiet and peaceful and I still can't sleep lol.

Have you tried a memory pillow? It has helped stop o/h's snoring quite a bit.

10. inky

inky Lead commenter

Memory pillow? That sounds interesting.

At my house in Brum, I can hear the early train from Glasgow to Penzanze, and that (apart from the birds) is all. It's soothing and even rather romantic.

Our flat in London is in a street famous for its restaurants. Until recently - and Mr inky has been here for 17 years -it has been quiet and sedate after 11:30 at night.

Now I AM going to bed. It's been nice to chat. Chin up, lids down.

inkyX

11. Night inky sleep tight xx

12. Anyone else not able to sleep?

13. I can't!
    Can you help me?

14. anyone still awake ??

15. CP2

CP2

Still awake, but not for long....

16. Anyone else still awake?

17. Hello Mixu; what is that you are wearing? Mr Ginster here - I'm a very close friend of Billy T?

Been quiet in the shed; another Sherry anyone?

18. *drops stick and waits expectantly*