1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can't return part time :(

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by funkymooncow, Mar 11, 2016.

1. funkymooncow

funkymooncow New commenter

I wasn't sure whether to post this in workplace dilemmas or not but thought I'd start here...
    I am part of our SLT, 6 months pregnant and, at my mid year PM review today, was told I won't be allowed to return to my role part time as the head 'doesn't want a part time leader'. I was hoping to return 4 days (other local schools in my area of similar size have part time leaders on 4 days) and all other teaching staff who have had children have returned 3 days or less without issue. Obviously I'm very disappointed, mostly because I have worked extremely hard to get my current role and I am good at my job. Basically I feel I've been left with a choice:
    1) agree to go back full time to current role
    2) go back part time but lose my leadership role
    3) look for a leadership role elsewhere that is part time (highly unlikely!)
    4) wait until it's time to go back, get turned down for flexible hours then appeal it.
    Does anyone have any advice? Just feeling upset at the moment as I am torn between wanting what is best for my baby and wanting to maintain my career!

2. dt201

dt201 Occasional commenter

I had my part time request (to 4 days) refused and I don't have a TLR. Having said that they are going to try and accommodate me, but I won't know for a while yet. I think you probably need to see how you get on during maternity leave then go from there. I'm sure you know this but you can put one formal request in per year, so depending on how long you want for mat leave you could put a formal request in now then another before you are due to return. Although to be honest I doubt they'd change their mind as I can understand a school not wanting part time SLT. Anyone who has a TLR at my school has had to drop it if they've returned on less hours. If I were in your shoes I would probably go back to normal teaching for a while and work my way up again later on.

3. funkymooncow

Thanks for the advice. I'm not on a TLR just L scale.
    I just thought it would at least be considered so to just be told an outright 'no way' seems really unfair as I can see lots of different options for how it could work and I am happy to be flexible. I guess that I was very naive in thinking that my previous 6 years of hard graft would count for anything :(

4. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

I think it's such a shame and probably discriminatory that women who have children are forced to drop their management position and pay.

Maybe post this in workplace dilemmas too to get some extra advice.

I went back 4 days a week and kept my TLR but I continued to do the full TLR responsibilities and got paid for doing it full time.

5. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

You need to consult your union about this, as a matter of urgency.

Firstly, if you made your request as a request for flexible working (if you didn't you need to resubmit it, formally, as a request for flexible working) it may only be lawfully declined for one of eight business reasons. "I do not want a part-time leader" is not one of them.

Secondly, as @Coolgiraffe speculated, it may indeed be challenged as indirect sex discrimination. "I won't have part-time leaders" is a "provision, criterion or practice" that is going to adversely affect women more than men and is affecting the OP, specifically.

spaghetti_l likes this.
  6. funkymooncow

Thanks for your replies - I haven't formally submitted a request yet as I, again probably naively, felt that I had a good relationship with my Head and didn't foresee there being any issues, particularly as I have in the past been praised for how efficiently I am able to use my time (ironically!) She then bought it up at my PM review.
    I think I will submit my request before I start my maternity leave and see what happens - however I am also considering looking into positions in other schools as this has made me feel as though I am not a valued member of SLT anyway.

7. sky7

sky7 New commenter