1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can't Pass the Maths skills test, So what do i do now?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sarahj0690, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Hi there,

I am struggling to pass my maths skills test and I can't see myself passing it :s

I am in my last school placement, and do not fancy chucking in the towel so close to the end, after completing all the assignments and extended study.

Does any body out there know what my options could be? I am on target to complete all my Teaching standards, just not the one that is about passing the skills tests!

I enjoyed working in early years, would this be possible with out my skills test? I woudln't mind doing some more training to make this possible.

Any advice would be really appreciated!

2. Hi there,

I am struggling to pass my maths skills test and I can't see myself passing it :s

I am in my last school placement, and do not fancy chucking in the towel so close to the end, after completing all the assignments and extended study.

Does any body out there know what my options could be? I am on target to complete all my Teaching standards, just not the one that is about passing the skills tests!

I enjoyed working in early years, would this be possible with out my skills test? I woudln't mind doing some more training to make this possible.

Any advice would be really appreciated!

3. You have got to complete the test, otherwise you will not pass and be qualified as a teacher.
    There are specific study books you can buy and you can do the test as many times as you like - I have heard stories of people doing them over 30 times. Just keep re-booking the test and sitting it, you will pass eventually. If still nothing, maybe a tutor or speak to one of your lecturers to ask them for advice on what to work on.
    For new trainees from September, the test is getting harder, the thresholds for passing higher and you are only allowed to do it 3 times. So keep battling on and you will get there, don't let something so small destroy a year of hard work. You still have lots of time, including this Easter break!

4. Hey Sarahj, what are the stats for you - what bits do you struggle with, why do you think you wont pass etc. Give us the info you would use to help a pupil to pass a test-your strengths, how you are with exams generally.
    keep it up, and sounds like great work so far on your year!

5. You must pass it- remember just because you want to work in EYFS now you might not always, plus you could be asked to teach any year up to Y6. It is vital. Keep practising.
    Do what poster above says- work out what bits you are okay at, and highlight your areas for development. Then either buy the study books, get a tutor or get a friend to help. This is YOUR future...if you want it you need to work for it. Study hard for it- give up a few Sat/Sun mornings to knuckle down and study study study. It will pay off.

6. I am just wondering why you think you won't pass? Surely you must have passed your maths GCSE - I thought this was a minimum requirement for ITT?
    I am sorry if this sounds unsupportive, but I think it is a good thing that the tests are being made more difficult to pass from next year. I don't think people should have limitless attempts to pass either.
    Not what you want to hear I know, but it had to be said.

7. Hi Sarah,

I am also in teacher training at the moment and have completed the Maths QTS. It is really hard, you're not alone. BUT it is possible and you just have to keep at it! If you're anything like me you've worked your socks off to get this far. Don't give up now! If you could give us a bit more information about what in particular you're struggling with, if there are any aspects that keep letting you down, then maybe we can give you a few tips and point you in the direction of some useful resources and websites.

Don't let is get you down! Try and keep your spirits up, focus hard on the aspects you find tricky (that's what I did) and you'll pass!!

Good luck.X

8. sarahjo690, is it your mathematical knowledge - probably not, as other poster said, you'll have a maths GCSE, so perhaps it's the strategy you use for answering the questions. With the mental arithmetic section, you need to jot down the key numbers of the question and then it is down to your arithmetic skills being secure - are you fluent with your times tables? You need to be because this helps enormously, similarly can you add and subtract in your head? These are skills you can quickly develop by putting in plenty of practise. You can get a good amount of marks on that section.
    For me, I found the data handling section tricky when I did the practise tests, so that was the area I needed to focus on. I simply had to develop the mindset that I could master this, that it was not going to defeat me. I spent hours practising over and over again. I made sure I would be able to tackle every type of question, even the one I constantly kept getting wrong!!
    I passed first time, but I really did have to work at it. You will get there, you're being pro-active about it by realising it's not as easy for you as it is for others, so don't look for an option of not doing it, look for the option that will enable you to succeed with it. All the best. [​IMG]

9. Please don't give up! I was in the same position as you I did the test so many times and eventually I passed! Practise online and buy the books and go in the test calm and do not panic you will pass think positively!

Good Luck!

10. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

No. It really isn't.

That sounds harsh I know, but they are not difficult tests.

11. Mildgod, you took the words right out of my mouth! Which I am sure will get us told off but sometimes the truth is a little harsh.

12. There are some "tricks" you can learn... like knowing that 1/5th is the same as 20%. Lots of the questions expect you to be able to quickly convert fractions to %s to save time. It is really worth spending time online to practise the tests. You will find it easier to be calmer in the real thing. Learn the simple conversions (1/20th = 5%, 1/4 = 25% etc), remind yourself of times tables, and learn number bonds (30+70 = 100) if you struggle with them.
    Take your time and see if you can spot the questions that have an easy way to do it. If you can, persuade someone who enjoys numbers to work through one with you. It will help.
    They aren't really hard at all, but they can phase you if you are a bit phobic about numbers.

13. I agree. They are not hard - most of my KS2 children would be able to pass them, given a little practice at the question types.
    I know that this is not what the OP wants to hear, but I feel very strongly that all teachers should have a basic grasp of English and maths, and that potential trainees shouldn't be allowed to get onto ITT courses until they have passed the tests.
    In the meantime, all you can do is practice. Buy the books, do the online tests, and brush up on basic skills.

14. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Well I don't know much about the test, but presumably it is "easy". What level does it equate to NC wise?
    How about, when you have clear week, signing yourself on for a free trial with maths whizz which covers KS1 and KS2 maths. Then just sit there all day every day on your computer doing all the lessons. Surely you should pass after that unless you have severe learning difficulties which does seem highly unlikely.
    Then you just need to do KS3 and KS4!! (or is the test really low level?)
    What do you think the issue is? Did you struggle teaching maths on the course or each time you prepare a topic to teach does it become clear to you?
    Just how bad is your maths? What did you get at GCSE?

15. The tests are tricky because of time limits and under pressure it can be overwhelming. Like others have said though, you have to pass to qualify, even to teach the EYFS.
    Get the books, they really help with the structure of the tests. Don't give up!!

16. The QTS tests are the same regardless of teaching EY to KS4 - not all of the questions would you find at primary level.

17. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Well I just listened to the first practice question on the official website. I worked it out in my head, no pen or whiteboard, immediately after the first reading of the question. The annoying thing was then that the voice carried on reading the question for the second time which could have interefered with your working out if you did not want the second reading. Is the clock ticking during the reading of the questions, or is the time you have as a candidate independent of the question reading?
    Have to say, I hate having questions read out loud to me. What's that about? You are allowed to use a pen and whiteboard, so why not have the question written down. Also, to me, it's not mental arithmetic because you can use a pen and whiteboard - it's calculator free, but not mental arithmetic in my book.
    Good luck - it can't be impossible really can it? Why don't they test you before you go on the course rather than finding out at the end you maybe can't pass? It seems cruel. Are you really weak at numeracy or is it this test that confounds you for some reason? How did you get through GCSE?
    What's the pass mark? Can you aim to do fewer questions more slowly and pass that way by missing some out?
    What if you are deaf? How do they deliver the questions then?

18. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I find that a strange remark ...sorry I don't understand

19. It's because the OP said that if she couldn't pass, would she still be able to teach EYFS.

20. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I assumed that was why as well. I found it odd that they asked, as if it wouldn't matter for just the little ones. And find it odd that they enjoyed 'working in FS' rather than 'teaching in FS'. But maybe I'm just being picky.

You definitely have to pass the tests and to be entirely frank, should be able to do so without an enormous amount of fuss. There is nothing there that teachers never ever have to do as part of their job or have to teach to children. Perfectly reasonable.