1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can't pass Maths QTS, whether to give it all up.

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by peppermint patti, Oct 14, 2007.

1. I taught myself all of it and passed first time !

Measure shape and space always gets people.

2. Heya,
    That document is only about those wanting to start a PGCE, from 2012 onwards, not those who have already graduated. So all is not lost. Practice will win out in the end so it will!! [​IMG]

3. these videos helped me!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gVVuoCtsjM

4. I'm sorry to sound harsh but if you can't pass the empathy test you shouldn't be a parent. I would not be happy for you to parent a child with such a low level understanding of a core human emotion.

sabrinakat, Flanks and pepper5 like this.
  5. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

I think if you are in primary and are therefore teaching maths to children you should be able to pass this test. In secondary if you are a teacher of English or history, then maybe you can argue it's not necessary. Supposing you have a mathematically gifted pupil in year 6. How will you stretch them if you have such poor subject knowledge?

6. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

The child has to work out then what the teacher had meant to say/write but failed to and presented less well/accurately - I was impressed seeing a Y4 student doing this with an impenetrable test question given to him by an all too rushed (if not very strong in maths) teacher.

7. SarahKT

SarahKT New commenter

I agree with the empathy comment, people are not clones of each other and some have strengths and weakness in different subjects.

This person has come on here to ask for support and has been berated by a few minority of members.

Those members, if they are practicing teachers, do not have the attitude I would want a teacher to have teaching my child.

If you can't do it, give up attitude.

Nor do they hold the qualities that people should aspire to. To be supportive, caring, empathetic and helpful......hang on..... isn't that what a teacher should be with a pupil?

Original poster, just keep trying. After years out of GCSE maths, most people who don't use maths daily will need to brush up on it. And that's all your doing.
    You will pass it.

And to the people who come on here to say none productive things, and comment on people as opposed to the answer, evaluate yourself, is that the way you would like to be treated.