1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can't move onto UPS as do not have a TLR?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by sammyl, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Hello
    I am a primary school teacher (Y5) and will coming up to my sixth year of teaching in January. Last week in my PD meeting with my head I asked about moving up onto the upper pay scale from Jan 2012. I was told that I would have to fill out the relevant forms but that I probably wouldn't be able to move up as I have never had a TLR or position of responsibility in the school. I work in a two form entry school and the TLR posts have been cut. Any additional responsibilities that crop up tend to go to those who already have other responsibilities anyway.
    No one has left the school since I started and therefore no positons of responsibility have been available in the last six years for me to apply for. I have in the past suggested changes I would like to implement in the school mainly linked to ICT but none of my suggestions were given the green light.
    Am I doomed to be on the MPS forever unless someone leaves or I move to another school?

2. Hello
    I am a primary school teacher (Y5) and will coming up to my sixth year of teaching in January. Last week in my PD meeting with my head I asked about moving up onto the upper pay scale from Jan 2012. I was told that I would have to fill out the relevant forms but that I probably wouldn't be able to move up as I have never had a TLR or position of responsibility in the school. I work in a two form entry school and the TLR posts have been cut. Any additional responsibilities that crop up tend to go to those who already have other responsibilities anyway.
    No one has left the school since I started and therefore no positons of responsibility have been available in the last six years for me to apply for. I have in the past suggested changes I would like to implement in the school mainly linked to ICT but none of my suggestions were given the green light.
    Am I doomed to be on the MPS forever unless someone leaves or I move to another school?

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

That's ridiculous! There is no link between responsibility points and Upper pay scale, your Head is having you on!

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Progression to UPS is based on passing threshold and successful PM cycles for the last two years.

5. This is what my colleagues have said and they've advised me to speak with him on Monday just to 'double check'!!
    Why would my head appear to be putting me off applying, then? Does the extra money come from the school's budget?

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You don't need to have had a TLR position. Anyone on M6 can apply for Threshold and their 2most recent PM reviews are used as evidence.
    You must make sure that your M5 and M6 PM targets encompass the 10 Post Threshold standards. Look at tda.gov.uk for details of the standards.
    Are you M5 or M6 in this school year?
    If m5, the earliest you can get UPS1 pay is 1st Sept 2013.
    If your are M6, you could get UPS1 from 1st Sept 2012.

7. Thanks to you all so far.
    Hmm... I have just checked the standards on line and I do meet all but one:
    P10Contribute to the professional development of colleagues through coaching and mentoring, demonstrating effective practice, and providing advice and feedback.
    I will not be able to meet this particular standard in one term. Who do I coach/mentor?? This opportunity has not been made available to me.

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You need to have something in your PM targets that encompasses that standard.
    You may feel secure with the other 9 standards but you must still ensure that your M5 and M6 year PM targets have/will allow you to demonstrate meeting them as you no longer fill in the old application form that allowed you to draw attention to how you meet the standards.
    I'd say that Standard 10 could be mentoring a PGCE student. Have you had that opportunity or could you put yourself forward for it?
    Have you had to undertake any presentations at INSET? That be 'demonstrating effective practice,and providing advice and feedback'.

9. purplepixie

purplepixie New commenter

That standard could also be met through initiatives in staff meetings, for example where you meet to perhaps work in groups, observe each other's lessons, team teach, shared moderation.

If you've ever held a position of leader in anything, e.g. PSHE co-ordinator, that meets that standard.

10. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Very sensible approach, thrupp but you have to think like one of the many heads whose primary purpose in this is to prevent or discourage Threshold progression.

11. errrrr okay.
    Tip to tight heads:
    <font size="2">Thrupp's system looks all open and free, however, it gives schools the opportunity to ensure their staff fail all ups standards from an early stage, and thus do not have the self belief or confidence to request transfer to UPS at end M6.......</font><font size="2">Hey-presto, staff kept in their place and uber control held by the leadership.</font><font size="2">PS this is also a good way of keeping all you SMT at L1, saving you &pound;1,000's and enabling you to take full advantage of the new discretionary payment regulations by persuading the govs to grant you a 25% wedge.........</font> How's that Becks?[​IMG]

12. henriette

henriette New commenter

????????????? please explain ?????????????????

13. New pay and conditions doc.
    ISR of school must remain within range dictated by point score as laid out in doc, govs can no longer extend ISR to reward/retain head or attract head(schools already doing this can say as). Descretionary payments can only be 25% of pay point, but can be perminant!
    All in section 2 para 12

14. New pay and conditions doc.
    ISR of school must remain within range dictated by point score as laid out in doc, govs can no longer extend ISR to reward/retain head or attract head(schools already doing this can say as). Descretionary payments can only be 25% of pay point, but can be perminant!
    All in section 2 para 12

15. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

yup, well done, that's the world I recognise......with only one little omission, the time honoured skill of dangling the odd low level carrot to a chosen few who can nod very vigorously.

16. Sorry, you are quite correct.
    Offer 2nd year teacher TLR at &pound;2400, or SEN point to do all major admin/coordination, tell them that if they prove themselves over the year this will be added on completion of successful PM next sept.
    Apply same PM system to ensure fail, make sure that during PM review you tell them that they've only just avoided capability proceedings and they had better pull their socks up, infering at the same time that any reference asked for may not be up to snuff!
    Another drone ensnared for life long servitude

17. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

uncanny how you keep picking on situations so familiar to me, thrupp!
    Extra twist: there's a get-out in TLR's, which as any ful know can not be temporary; I know of a situation where a person was promised a permanent TLR, on completion of a period of proving themselves...... nearly 4 years on they are still waiting. After 18 months the head finally gave the person a temporary TLR for an 'unfilled vacancy'. The vacancy is still unfilled, the TLR still temporary and of course, subject to removal at any time the head chooses to take against the teacher involved. Sweet huh?

By the by, do you know any grounds on which this ludicrous situaton could be challenged other than common sense? I am assuming also that a pay appeal would be the route through which to do it.

18. Not what i meant, the point/tlr would only be offered after the year's pm cycle.(yr 3)
    I would guess that after a certain period of time the temporary would become perminant as the role would be adopted. Thus, any removal of tlr would be subject to payment protection.Tafkam or other board genius may well have time periods or rules at hand!

19. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

there's the rub: there don't seem to be any regulations in the STPCD about such time periods and a temporary TLR is not subject to safeguarding.......

20. I don't believe you can have a temporary TLR, thus any award of such is impossible under STPCD. An "acting up" post, or fixed term contract that has a TLR attached, would, I presume, be a contractual matter and, as such, be covered by the rules applied to any fixed term contract. Somewhere deep in the dusty hole that is my memory I have a vague idea that the term "adopted role" (or some such phrase) can be applied after time, especially if, in the case of an "acting up" role, the post holder covered for never reappears. This situation should, of course, prompt an advertisement of the post or staffing structure review. Certainly a secondment cover contract holder has permanent rights to the post after 3 years. If the original post holder returns without an alternative post being availiable to either party then they both have right to the post and are ringfenced in redundency situation. Perhaps the place to look for the answer is under permanent/fixed term contract regulation!