1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

can't keep tenants in my flat!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mrs_Frog, May 3, 2012.

1. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

I have a flat in another part of the country, and it is being managed by an estate agent. I had trouble with noisy neighbours, when I lived there, but I was under the impression that it was sorted, well as sorted as it was going to be. I moved out in August last year, and it was rented out in November. The tenants were elderly, and I wasn't sure about whether it would be suited to them. The noise issues, namely uncontrolled children running about and loud music at all hours of the night have forced the tenants to leave before their contract ends. I don't blame them at all.
    I have spoken to the estate agents about it, and I am getting the flat sound proofed, as there will be the time and space while it is empty. I have also spoken to the council who dealt with the original case, but there is little that they can do unless the person living in the property complains.
    I am going to write to the chap who is causing the noise, just to politely remind him that although I no longer live there I am still aware of what is going on. (It will be done care of the estate agents so that he can't get hold of me!)
    I would like to sell the damned place, but with the noise and the curernt climate, can't really see that happening!
    Apart from getting some very large boys round, what else can I do!!!???!!!
    B x

2. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

I have a flat in another part of the country, and it is being managed by an estate agent. I had trouble with noisy neighbours, when I lived there, but I was under the impression that it was sorted, well as sorted as it was going to be. I moved out in August last year, and it was rented out in November. The tenants were elderly, and I wasn't sure about whether it would be suited to them. The noise issues, namely uncontrolled children running about and loud music at all hours of the night have forced the tenants to leave before their contract ends. I don't blame them at all.
    I have spoken to the estate agents about it, and I am getting the flat sound proofed, as there will be the time and space while it is empty. I have also spoken to the council who dealt with the original case, but there is little that they can do unless the person living in the property complains.
    I am going to write to the chap who is causing the noise, just to politely remind him that although I no longer live there I am still aware of what is going on. (It will be done care of the estate agents so that he can't get hold of me!)
    I would like to sell the damned place, but with the noise and the curernt climate, can't really see that happening!
    Apart from getting some very large boys round, what else can I do!!!???!!!
    B x

3. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Unfortunately, very little unless, as has been said, neighbours complain! :(( You might want to engage the help of your next tenants - if they find it a problem offer them a rent rebate for every written complaint they make whilst living there. You would be seeen to be a helpful landlord and the noise would get sorted for the tenant.
    Good luck.

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Target specific groups to make sure that you get the noisiest tenants ever! Party loving rugby players students should be just fine. Make sure that your ad says "noise is no object"!

5. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

I did mention to the estate agent that a couple of rather large party type gentlemen would be ideal......
    On a serious note though, thanks for the idea of reduced rent if complaints are made, I shall speak to the estate agent about it when the time is right.
    With regard to the next tenants, I have also already mentioned that perhaps an elderly couple is not really the best plan, but we were not to know at the time. I will also make sure that the tenants will complain if there is something wrong, and then stuff can get sorted. This was my first tenant, and hopefully have been a fair landlady, but I do want people to feel that they can complain about matey upstairs....only then can things get done about it.
    Would it be worth going down the council tenant/DSS route, I know that those tenancies are longer and the rent in theory is paid regularly....have people had experience of this?
    B x

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If you go down that route, unscrupulous tenants could just claim that noise was a nuisance in order to get reduced rent and unwarranted complaints could be made, especially after the sound-proofing is in place!
    Personally, I wouldn't be writing to the neighbours to complain about the noise. You have an empty property and do not live near. That makes the property vulnerable.
    Make sure you inform your insurance company if the property stay empty for longer than the stipulated period in the policy (usually around 30 days) or the policy will be invalidated. They may charge extra to insure an empty property. You could get around the 30 day (or whatever) figure by spending a night in the property every month to continuously 'reset the clock'.
    Get the sound-proofing sorted and then check out how effective it is as muffling the neighbour's noise. If it works, it will make the property more saleable.

7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I think I remember this now. Did you not have a similar thread a few months ago?
    What is not the case that the main problem was that your tenants were older and at home all day and therefore more susceptible to any kind of noise? Flats are noisy by nature and you are probably better off with tenants who might not be that bothered by noise because they will also play music and will be out a lot (working/uni during the day and out evenings).

8. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

Yes, twas moi....
    I just get myself into a panic about it, just a reaction to the problems I had with him originally.
    I am fully aware that we all know what we are dealing with now in relation to having 'appropriate tenants', and yes, younger tenants are much more preferable.
    Thanks very much, sometimes a bit of straight talking is all I need
    B x

9. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

shame you can have a music system facing whichever floor it is,turns on atomatically when a noise level goes above certain decibals...blast the bu gg ers out! lol
    dont suppose you can have noise abatement order put on them if they uncociable?

10. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

There have been a number of noise abatement orders issued and were breached, this resulted in a court appearance for said matey.
    He was not fined but was informed that he had to accept some caution or other and that if it happened again he would be in proper trouble. I was told this by the noise abatement lady at the council, who was very very good at the time.
    However, I spoke to the council today in relation to this, but because there have not been any complaints for a while (ie he behaved himself, sounds like until I moved out) then there is no open case. Mind you, I shall be emailing the relevant council tonight when I get home, just to keep her informed and take her advice as to what to do.
    In addition, matey can be quite volatile, he drinks a lot and threatened me in my own back yard the day he got the papers through about the court appearance, mind you he did calm down very quickly, but hey, can;t forgive that one!
    As far as I am aware, evidence needs to be gathered before anything else can be done, and that depends on the flat being occupied in the first place! Darn it!
    B x