1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can't go to an interview on date...if get shortlisted...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by littlemissraw, Jul 4, 2011.

1. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

You can note it on your application and offer to come in prior to the interview date if selected? x

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

There's no harm at all in putting in a covering letter stressing how keen you are to apply, but that you have a prior commitment you cannot rearrange and could they possibly still consider seeing you...
    You've nothing to lose - the worst that can happen is they'll say 'No'.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, you can ask in your application - but if they have large numbers, they may just reject you out of hand.
    If you wait, however, until they actually offer you an interview, and then tell'em and offer to come in the day before (the day after is tricky - they won't want to keep other people hanging around), then you probably give yourself more of a chance.
    And also, if you actually get an interview, it will make you stop and seriously consider: how important is this other commitment to you? How much do you want a job? Could you just go?
    Best of luck.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

4. essentiallyprincess

essentiallyprincess New commenter

It is my graduation - my mum and daughter would never forgive me if we didn't go!

Thank you for all your responses. I will either ring school or put on the application. Thank you.

5. I was in a similar position in May as I was going to camp with my Year 6 class. I had already put this on the job application as the school only stated the week they were interviewing not the actual date, unfortunately they interviewed on the day we went to camp. The head did ring me to see if there was anyone else to go, but we are so short staffed in school there were only 2 of us going (and one was a teacher we have in regularly on supply not a staff member), so I knew this wasn't viable - plus had offered to go to camp in February so was long standing and still felt that my present school deserved some loyalty. I explained this to the head and she said she couldn't reschedule the interviews but she had two members of staff going for promotion and would call me on Thursday of they got the posts and see me Friday. She never called so I assume either they didn't get the promotions or she employed someone from the Monday interviews. She told me I was a strong candidate and really wanted to see me.
    In the end I went for an interview elsewhere on the Thursday and got that anyway. It is difficult when you have other commitments, especially if they are related to your present employers.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That is a perfect reason when you ring them up on being offered an interview. They would have to be very very mean not to see you the day before.
    Good luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.