1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

can't get job due to dbs sanctions

Discussion in 'Personal' started by musician_rules_ok, Feb 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musician_rules_ok

musician_rules_ok New commenter

I'm at the end of my tether as I can't get a job due to stuff on my enhanced disclosure that happened in my younger days as a teacher. I have been unemployed for 2 or 3 years now since my last positions teaching English to adults abroad in less desirable countries. I can't even get a job in anything else because when an employer looks at my CV and sees 10 odd years teaching, they don't offer me an interview. I had to tell white lies to get one interview as a boring customer service adviser position saying I had previous experience (I have had experience but only for a few months and I had to say I'd had at least a couple of years' experience to get the interview). I still didn't get that job either. I'm stuck on the dole at an amazing £125 per week. God you get that every DAY supply teaching. The only luck I've got is that I own my own house and have no mortgage or rent to pay. All business English in Europe is freelance and so you have to build up enough hours slowly to get by. I just wish I could teach but I will never get a job with what's on my DBS check. I'm fed up of being a graduate with a PGCE on the dole. Any ideas of what to do next?

2. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

A very recent High Court ruling may be of some help to you:

Criminal records disclosure rules unlawful
    In 2013 a court ruled that the system for disclosure of past criminal convictions in certain jobs breached an individuals’ right to respect for family and private life under article 8 of the Human Rights Act and the scheme was amended. Under the amended scheme a criminal records check MUST disclose an individual's full criminal record if they have two or more minor convictions, regardless of the nature of the offence or how long ago they occurred. The High Court has declared those provisions to be unlawful and the scheme will have to be amended. R (on the applications of P and A) v Secretary of State for Justice and others [2016] EWHC 89

3. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

How on earth do you get £125 a week?

Why does 10 years in teaching stop you getting a job somewhere else?

cissy3 likes this.
  4. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Could be a lot worse
    It drops to £75 after a while

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Isn't this what the DBS Check was designed to do?

6. ilovesooty

@nomad I would have thought so.

7. Didactylos4

Just a quick query
    Did this "stuff" happen in your younger days preventing you getting work as a teacher?
    Or did this "stuff" happen in your younger days as a teacher?

8. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

There's something oddly familiar about this.

cissy3, catmother and Lascarina like this.
  9. ilovesooty

sabrinakat and Flere-Imsaho like this.
  10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Yup. It is Friday night and the mods have gone home for the weekend.

11. musician_rules_ok

This STUFF happened when I was a younger teacher. I used to be able to teach since it happened but then it all went on my dbs. It's not fair to keep things for ever on a dbs if you were just stupid when you were younger. No it's £125 for three years now per week on the dole. I used to get £600 a week supply teaching.

12. ilovesooty

By the dole are you referring to job seekers ' allowance?

Why was this "stuff" not a barrier to teaching previously and yet it is now? Didn't it appear on the CRB check?

13. Didactylos4

Then the DBS system is working as designed

ilovesooty likes this.
  14. ilovesooty

I doubt if seething over how unfair it is is endearing you to potential employers quite frankly.

15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

What happened in your earlier career is obviously your business but if it was inappropriate behaviour or it put kids at risk of harm I have no sympathy.

That said, it is possible to work in school without a DBS on a self-employed basis provided you are supervised at all times by someone with DBS clearance. You can only work in the same school for a few days in any single month.

16. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Do you think? I get the feeling we're supposed to coax it out of the OP one tantalising and excruciating detail at a time.

17. ilovesooty

No way is JSA paid at the rate the OP says, let alone for three years.

cissy3 likes this.
  18. musician_rules_ok

I only gave two pupils a swig of beer at a summer school 16 years ago and one said I touched her leg and I never did. It's not fair! It's going to cost £2500 to see a psychiatrist for a report to see if I am suitable again for teaching. I can't afford that. There isn't any other way of persuading a teacher panel I'm suitable without this report. So I'm stuck on JSA.

19. ilovesooty

Oh dear.

20. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i seem to remember a very similar story a few years back. i also recall that few believed the person posting it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.