1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can't get Classroom experience!!!

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Benjoynes, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Is anybody able to help me?
    I am in the process of applying for the English GTP and PGCE at a couple of Universities. However they all require some classroom experience and I have repeatedly volunteered at all of the secondary schools within 15 miles of where I live (Lincoln). I can't seem to get anything. All I need is 5 days observation but can't get anything at all and this has been going on since the end of September. I went to school abroad so I can't go to my own school. This is so frustrating, as I have a good degree ( a 1st) and really want to teach, but if I can't get these 5 days, I won't be able to go into my dream profession.
    If anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it.

2. I sent letters with a CV to any school in my city and within an hours/hour and a halfs journey from home. I probably sent 100ish out and got 3 positive responses. Could you widen your net outside lincoln? Any where you can get to via bus or train is worth a try. I figured it'd be good practice for the placements that may have to trek to if I get on PGCE! Good luck, keep trying!

3. Oops, just read you've tried all within 15 miles. How are you contacting them? You could try approaching in person.