1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

    If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

    Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

    Dismiss Notice

Cant get a stonemason ....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Feb 21, 2011.

  1. oldsomeman

    oldsomeman Star commenter

    I cant be of help with this work as im not a stonemason...but have you contacted their federation and ask through them.
    You have to remember that there is shortage of stonemasons as it takes ages to train them and most are , as you have noted, invovlved in big projects paying good money
    What stone work do you actually need doing?
  2. The stone frontage of our house, particularly above the bedroom bay window, is quite badly worn with some losses. We recently had new windows installed and when they took the old ones out, some damage was sustained to the header stone (crack & flaking). It needs repairing/filling to prevent further deterioration. TBH, a local stonemason did come to look at it; he said he couldnt be sure how bad the damage was until he got up there and started the work. He was going to give us a quote but never got back to us. We seem to get this with every mason we contact. Most have refused to even come out to have a look!
  3. If the stonework was damaged when new windows were installed, wouldn't the cost of repairs be covered by your buildings insurance? If so, perhaps they will be able to get a firm to quote for and do the work.They will claim back the cost from a third party (ie the window people) if liable. I think that's how it works. I may be wrong but it wouldn't hurt to ask! [Some years ago, my garden wall was demolished when the neighbour's wall collapsed and fell on to it.I assumed I had to contact their insurance company and make a claim but in the end I just had to do it through my own insurance and they sorted it out].

Share This Page