1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can’t get a post despite 16 years experience - is it time to call it a day?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by southwestteacher26, Mar 31, 2018.

1. southwestteacher26

southwestteacher26 New commenter

16 years ago I embarked on my teaching career. My parents helped me massively, having invested time, money and effort into helping me get my degree and later my PGCE.

However since May 2016 I have been stuck working supply, applying for jobs and getting nowhere.

The 2016-2017 financial year I earned £15,616 before tax. At the moment I’m fortunate enough to live with my dad so he helps me but alone it’s not survivable working as a supply teacher.

I’m still applying for teaching jobs but the prospect of the summer holidays is really scaring me. I don’t know what to do - as a supply teacher I’m earning less than if I’d left school at 16 but if I quit teaching all together what am I going to get at the age of 41?

I don’t even know where to begin looking as I’ve been doing this for 16 years.

I’m also scared that if I leave teaching to do something else I’ll end up in a naff job which doesn’t reflect all the training and experience I’ve got but I won’t be able to get back into teaching either.

I worry about this 24/7 and I have no solution.

Please can anyone give me some advice? Please could someone give it to me straight - is my teaching career over and should I look at alternatives?

Many thanks,

Matt

2. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

I feel for you. I did 3 years on supply and the Summer holiday pay gap is impossible. My younger brother has worked as a contractor for 20 years all over the world and cannot believe the teachers working on contract get paid significantly less than those with all the benefits of full time contracts. I eventually found a little job driving minibuses for a play scheme every summer which helped a little. As you mention, I found my earnings as a supply teacher were only around 15K even the third year when I worked every single day available.
    I was talking to a teacher with us on long term supply, her agency make a point of offering summer work (on play schemes). I worked for Reed and they offered nothing during the holidays despite my suggesting they were missing a trick. Have to say, other wise they were excellent.
    So it might be worth asking round the agencies local to you.
    If you can find something away from teaching you might find yourself both financially better off and less stressed by the worry.
    TheoGriff on here always seems to have lots of fantastic advice to offer.