1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can't even get an admin job.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by mmm...Milk, Nov 28, 2011.

1. mmm...Milk

mmm...Milk New commenter

I am feeling really down in the dumps at the moment, I am just having no luck. I nearly had an interview in a school (as a CS - yes, desperate) at the end of October. The interview was pulled days before "because so many people had withdrawn" they said it would be readvertised, but it hasn't.
    I had an interview nearly 2 weeks ago as an admin job with the NHS, I can now go on the "books" which requires a 10 page health questionaire, including the date I caught chicken pox and had an MMR (which they didn't do when I was little). I also am expected to do a 50 mile round trip for a CRB check. There is no guarentee of work.
    Last week I had an interview for a different admin post and they were supposed to tell me on friday if I got it, but I got the letter this morning (monday) to tell me what I already knew.
    My CV has gone forward to two schools, but I have heard nothing.
    I know I am not the only one, but I just need my luck to change.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Have a big cyberhug [​IMG].

3. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

[​IMG]. Look on the flower thread x

4. Has the world gone mad - refer to my most recent post. As human beings we are just consumable commodities just like the "services" we purport to be excellent at.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I could just SHOOT whoever it was that allowed so many Unis to take people on to their PGCE courses when there are not jobs . .
    Best wishes through gritted teeth.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

6. At work today (at Next) and got into a conversation with one of my colleagues. Ended up explaining that I was a qualified teacher but there are (practically) no jobs available in my subject. The colleague then proceeded to tell me that they had applied for a PGCE for Sept 2012 in PE I believe. My response was good luck, there's not many jobs around for that either! (Although there seem to be more for females than males).

7. WELL said, Theo!
    OP, sorry to hear your news, but I know you're not ready to give up just yet.

8. yup?[​IMG]
    Despite the excellent book keeping, pen pushing, file stuffing skills acquired from the technical facets of my profession, I too have had no joy in getting any work in admin and have resigned to realism, that is I won't be working in a nice, warm, cushy, office with kettle, coffee and internet access this winter.
    At least the interviews get you out of the house milky! Cheer up!