1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can't decide what to do, would really appreciate some advice

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by wonderyears, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,
    I would really appreciate some help. I am in my first year of teaching overseas. I am currently on a contract which ends in June. Due to financial and PD reasons it's impossible to stay in the situation I'm currently in. I got used to the idea that I would have to start looking for jobs back in London. However, a school in the same place who rejected me last year have just offered me a post which I wasn't expecting. It's a 2 year contract and financial problems would definitely be solved if I accept it. I still feel deep down I would like to eventually move back to London although part of me would really like to explore where I am at the moment. I've been unable to do this as have just had enough money to survive and have still had to get into debt to make ends meet, for example. paying for petrol to get to school. What does a 2 year contract really mean? If something bad happened back home would I be able to give notice before the 2 years was up? Would it be easier to get a job back in London after just being away for one year? Or if I take this other job and complete the contract would I still have a chance of getting a job in London in 2 years time? I left just after I completed threshold so am aware it will probably be hard to get a job. Sorry for all of the questions, I just feel a bit gloomy as it's been a pretty tough start. I know I should be really excited about the new job, I'm just concerned about making wrong decisions for the future. Many Thanks,

2. Getting a job in London now or in two years time is going to be tough isn't it? If you land the job in London, it will still be tough!
    There are quite a few people who would sacrifice a limb to get a two year contract at a school they would want to work at, and solve a few financial problems. The decision will be yours and shouldn't really be swayed by people like us who have no idea who you are, what you are like, what you like etc. etc.
    If it was me I would grab the job like a leech and wouldn't think about anything for at least two years.

3. Thanks so much for your quick reply. You're right, I'm really sorry for sounding so ungrateful. I was teaching in an inner city London school for 7 years so I know it would be tough. I think I just always look back with rose tinted spectacles and haven't had quite the experience I was hoping for in the new place. However this is mostly down to lack of money. Thank you for your honest reply, you've made me feel much better.

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Well, yes, you could go back to London, if you miss the rain, the traffic jams and the Council Tax. I think that quite a lot of teachers in London would be happy to swap places with the you!
    Yes, international schools are a very mixed bunch - the good, the bad and very, very ugly. If you really hate your current school, it might be easier to find another international school, even in another country, rather than returning to good old Blighty. If you have not been away too long, I am sure that the Great British Taxman will welcome you back with open arms.

5. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Sucker!
    Mein Jew, I agree with what you say though it would rather depend on the limb.

6. spiderwomen

spiderwomen New commenter

If you give up your current job and try and move back to England in the hope of securing a position- then dream on. The availability of jobs is tragic and the competition is fierce! Being an experienced teacher means you're expensive and it will go against you, as most vacancies are going to NQT's fresh out of training college. The fact that children are becoming increasingly difficult and employing inexperienced NQT's only adds to the problem makes no difference to headteachers. If you have financial difficulties now, it will be nothing compared to what it'll be like in England. If I had the benefit of foresight and was able to predict the future, I would have grabbed the opportunities when they arose. Instead I'm now unemployed and struggling to get work in teaching. Whatever your situation, nothing is worse than being unemployed. Good luck.