1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can't continue with supply work after 5 years of not completing induction?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by israhafeez, Nov 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. israhafeez

israhafeez New commenter

I am going to be doing some tutoring that's why I asked if it will be valuable to put on my CV

Yeah I guess if I can't get any semi permanent roles then I can just start day to day supply again before applying for long term roles. I think mentioning tutoring will be good for showing progress in subject knowledge.

You've really helped me feel better. I just hope I don't lose it again after a few months! I was worried about the supply teaching more because it would be such a shame if I lose out on that after 5 years. I really enjoyed doing day to day supply because it's so much easier than a full time job with all the responsibilities.

I was thinking after completing my NQT year I can just carry on with day to day supply

I hope agengies do carry on paying teachers rate even for cover supervisor after the 5 years (in case i still haven't completed my induction god forbid!)

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You must think carefully about this.

But

In my opinion (and I speak as a pretty experienced teacher) if you tootle about for a couple of years doing day-to-day supply you won't get offered a position in a school where you can do your induction.

Remember with every year that passes there will be a new generation of NQTs and you will just find yourself at the back of what may be a pretty long queue.

3. israhafeez

israhafeez New commenter

Yeah this is why I'm hoping to complete the rest of my induction within the next 18 months or so. I'm qualified as a geography teacher but got some good experience teaching KS3 RE and History too. There is more demand for Humanities teachers nowadays so I'm quite hopeful to find something once things are sorted at home (which will probably be April time next year)

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

First step (when you are ready) is to find yourself a long term supply position teaching your subjest and then use that as a springboard.

5. PizzoCalabro

PizzoCalabro Established commenter

If you are in London, stop worrying now! There is projected to be a massive shortage of secondary teachers so when you do want a full time role they will be biting your hand off to take you on - NQt or not.

6. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

You have to put everything on your CV/applications, as any unexplained periods will look dodgy. If you didn't work, say you were seeking employment/caring for a family member and so on. If you did work, doing tutoring, say so.

Glad you feel better. Try to complete the NQT when you're ready, then do what makes you happy. If you like tutoring and doing supply, then that's fine.

7. israhafeez

israhafeez New commenter

Yeah that's the plan! Hopefully can get a position to complete my NQT when I'm ready to work. Thanks again for all your help. God bless you!

blueskydreaming likes this.
  8. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

If you are registered with an agency - you could put down 'the name of the agency - your role - supply teacher and dates you commenced working for the agency. you do not necessary need to mention what schools you have worked in. In Wales NQT's on supply can use the days on supply towards the induction period.